DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a neat article for any tech guy whether you like the gaming system or not.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer

I been doing research on the game councils and been deciding witch one I want in the future. I been reading up on the Cell processor for awhile since it was being designing about 4 or 5 years ago. I am rather surprised IBM doesn't seem to be using these anywhere yet besides these councils though I suppose nothing can support them really. There is also another article where these collage kids made a computer version of the human mind:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7536&Itemid=53&show=1

Overall very cool stuff.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Who cares about this overhyped CPU? Not me!

The Cell is very powerful on paper BUT it is so difficult to program for that in practice much of it goes to waste. Also, contrary to popular belief; the CPU is NOT an 8 core CPU, it is single core with up to 8 co-processors tacked on. The co processors or SPEs CANNOT do general purpose computations, this limits their effectiveness in a lot of applications.

I'm not expecting this CPU to dethrone Intel or AMD.....ever.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Oh yeah... as for gaming, the GPU is much more of an issue than the CPU in many cases. The Xbox 360's tri-core Power PC CPU is quite powerful. It's basically 3 PPC 970 (G5) CPUs in one. The ATI GPU in the thing is very advanced, its a unified shader architecture GPU. It is similar to an ATI Radeon HD2900 with a few features needed for full DirextX10 compliance missing. It's quick!

The PS3 GPU is essentially a Geforce 7900GS with half the memory bandwidth cut out. My old 7800GT will smoke it. (PC version of the 7900GS is 256bit memory bus, PS3 gets by with a 128bit memory bus)

I've played Crysis beta.... I have no desire for a console at all. I want a bad ass graphics card. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts