DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
That's a nice build. There are tons of Ice Huts as we call them around here, most are not nearly as fancy as what you did there though! One thing that I see different between what you got there and what we have up here is the use of a wheel system. Most huts around here have large skis with a plastic coating at the bottom so you can drag them across the lake easier. Also, a house like you have there would weld itself to the ice pretty quick because of snow/slush and water entombing the base. Guys up here bring the huts on in late December/ early January and take them off usually by mid march so they don't go sinking. Either way, that's nice high end piece you made there, I really like the whole covers with the light!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We've carried skis from a company down in Bismarck, but they ran into financial and ownership issues in the past few years - and we can't get our hands on them. But yes, the skis you put in front of the house, and drag the house up onto it, then back them back off when you get back to the boat ramp or shore, etc.

I've often wondered about them freezing to the ice surface, but since I don't fish, I don't know. I've been told they will do just fine on the ice and break free o.k.

There was a question about the axle system on the wider houses - this manufacturer doesn't offer double axles - at this time anyway. The big wheel well that you can see in that very first post is because of the raising and lowering winch system. They are looking at engineering a longer house, and looking at double axles.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
These houses will float, due to the foam in the walls, air inflated tires, and sealed tubular frame members. ND requires all houses to float - although I have never heard of anyone enforcing it.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Gotcha! Lowering brings you closer to the fish AND (more importantly) keeps you from a big blast of cold air up through the holes.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Exactly. We sell hole liners that help give you one more later against the wind, and most people pile snow up around the base of the house and even the holes themselves get piled up with slush... But with these houses, hole liners are about all we see used. With the floor insulated, the houses stay warm with a small heater and a fan.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
These houses will float, due to the foam in the walls, air inflated tires, and sealed tubular frame members. ND requires all houses to float - although I have never heard of anyone enforcing it.
That's pretty interesting, here there is a mandatory "off-date" to prevent people from just leaving them out there.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yup, we have an off date for overnight only... That is sometime in mid March, but nothing about daytime other than "Don't kill yourself, thin ice cracks." At last that I know of. Hehehe

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Good build project, finish product came out nice. massive weight added...

Has someone used an RV with a lowering system and modified floor to go ice fishing? Drive the sucker out on the ice, lower the RV, put a skirt around (if needed), open up the fish holes, crack a few, and relax. TV, bathroom, sink, bed, all included.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Good build project, finish product came out nice. massive weight added...

Has someone used an RV with a lowering system and modified floor to go ice fishing? Drive the sucker out on the ice, lower the RV, put a skirt around (if needed), open up the fish holes, crack a few, and relax. TV, bathroom, sink, bed, all included.
As the saying goes... "You can't fish from a camper, but you can camp in a fish house."

21 - 31 of 31 Posts