DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the how-to's on this forum and LH forums, I was able to do quite a few upgrades on my Intrepid while I was on shutdown from work. Installed the 02 Special PCM with the rear gears in the transmission, the special sway bars, as well as hooking up the heated memory seats in my car and they work. I didn't like the 4 way adjustment on the passenger seat, so I swapped out a 7 way adjuster base and it works great. No more air bag light in the cluster either! Now my car corners like it's on rails(sporting the 18 inch wheels from my special parts car). Just have to do the timing belt so I don't blow the motor, since it's so much more fun to drive.

On a side note, is it possible to install rod and main bearings with the engine in the car? I assume the rods would be no problem, but the rear cap with the seal seems daunting. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,557 Posts
Don't do a Half-Assed job! Motor out of car. Disassembled and critical components checked. If you're not capable of determining whether components are good...then a competent machine shop is recommended.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Did this on a crap nissan 240sx I had lasted about a month of idling (never was registered) before it started knocking again. The crank needs turned back to oem specs as it probably has built up a little layer of bearing material on it which will then destroy your new bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
I did my rod bearings 45,000 miles ago in the car and they are still fine.

Two notes:
1) There were NOT worn out or noisy when they were replaced. Slightly out of spec, though.
2) I didn't just slap them in there. The journals were lightly polished to remove any high spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts