DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a very nice '99 Intrepid ES (3.2). 190k with a 60k mile engine.
I got the car free, needed an engine, put it in, did the whole brake, shock, and ball joint job, fair amount of money into it. Couple of weeks ago girlfriend flipped it. Now I have a good running lawn ornament/ with the corresponding shop ornament of the old 3.2 engine with locked up head. Hard damage to fix is the roof is caved in. Options I have considered-

1. $2500 to 3000 to fix body damage, car is still worth very little. $1800 for all new parts, plus painting, could do in our shop. Or buy a wrecked car and get the parts alot cheaper, more painting and cost of transport.
2. Find a blown 2.7 Intrepid and swap my engine in, looking like $2000 minimum to buy and transport home, might have a lower mileage car worth a little more when I'm done.
3. Find a blown Concorde, or LHS, end up with a car worth more than a little more when I'm done, not sure if this is a feasible option or not, help me out here.

got a shop, good mechanic/body guy to do most the work, any ideas as to what is the best option?

·
Registered
244 Posts
if you were closer i would sell you a roof with sunroof and if you needed them i have most doors and trunk lid i would do it all for like 150-200 if that kind of stuff would help maybe i could even ship it

ken

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
either option 2 or 3. You would be a certified nut if you went with option 1

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think I would find a blown 2.7 and put your engine in, but that's just me.. Where are you in North Dakota? I go to school at UND. How in the hell did she manage to flip the trep?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I think I would find a blown 2.7 and put your engine in, but that's just me.. Where are you in North Dakota? I go to school at UND. How in the hell did she manage to flip the trep?
Was wondering about that. The trep is large, flat and low... all things that make flipping hard to do...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Check Craigslist. There's lots of blown engine treps out there. Since you have a whole vehicle, engine swap is going to be pretty easy. Cost for one those is usually 500 to 1000 depending on the condition.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Or...you could make an elcomino type thing out of it!

Buy the best car you can with a blown 2.7 and swap all your stuff on it...strip the carcuss of all the stuff you put on and get rid of it!

you did it once and it worked should be easier this time!

Buy a concord and do the swap and the put the intrepid front end on it!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Find a cheap replacement with a blown engine or part it out.

Only real options that make any sense in this case................at least from a dollar for dollar standpoint........

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
The other option is part it out and make back as much $$ as you can and start over

You got the car free so no loss there, the engine/tranny are worth a few bucks and everyone here is always looking for parts

You might even find someone here who is willing to bring a car to you for the motor swap to make some more money for your time and labor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts