DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving with my mother to my friends house (i only have my permit right now) and i looked in the rearview mirrior and saw a pack of cars pretty big, so i switched lanes a head of time and signaled a head of time so they would know i'd be slowing down, well i let off the gas and there was a toyota tacoma in the left lane (same lane as me) a car next to him in the right lane and a uhaul behind the car. well i started slowing down kept looking in my rearview they got closer and closer and next thing i know he's right at my ass and i'm already half way on the shoulder, so i sworve over to the left and he swoves to the right missing me buy only 2 or 3 foot. I was like whoa made my turn, i wanted so bad to just fallow him just to tell him he was a dumb ass, and flip him off. Just taught i'd share my storie with you guys, and let you all know heh becarful theres some idiot drivers out there! All he had to do is slow down but nope he kept it going.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you were on a 2 lane road, signalling left with intentions to make a left turn. You have nothing to worry about. You did all the correct moves and if there was an accident it would have been the fault of the Toyota driver.
All I can say is double check your left indicator is working and use the right lane whenever possible. Sharing the road with idiots is part of driving.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. Several years ago I was driving a Honda Civic hatchback with the family in the car. I pulled onto the highway from an onramp where a long uphill started. I had my foot buried in the throttle from the start of the onramp, but with the load in my car the hamster under the hood could only get me up to about 60 by the time I hit the highway on the uphill. A semi was a ways back and barreling up on my rear bumper. I watched and he didn't slow down at all, didn't change lanes, finally when he was gaining fast with less than a car length of distance I had to bail to the shoulder. My Honda wouldn't have been much more than a bug splat on his front bumper, but he obviously felt he owned the road and everyone else could go to hell, just so long as he didn't have to lose his momentum on the hill. I was steaming over that one for a long time.

Just watch the road rage, it can get out of hand way too easy. Tell yourself that you survived, they're idiots, and let it go. Once you start acting out of rage you're more than likely gonna wind up sorry one way or another.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I always remember what my driving teacher told me:

Look at all the cars on the road when you're driving. And when you look at each one, ask yourself "what is the stupidest possible thing that asshole can do?". Then, expect them to do it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Xpid....Make sure all of your signals and brake lights are in good working order. If all signals are ok, then the Tacoma driver was drunk,stupid or had a cell phone glued to the side of his melon. One thing I learned shortly after I started driving (only 31 years ago) was that everyone else on the road is a potential idiot, you must be prepared for any other drivers to do something stupid. Most people are not really idiots, but all people have had idiot moments. Some people have more idiot moments than others and just don't seem to learn from their mistakes. I don't know how many times I've had to take evasive action to avoid a collision and notice that the other car already has a dent right where we would have connected. Flipping somebody the bird will never accomplish anything good. Thankfully you did not get hit by the idiot so now you can add the experience to your list of things idots will do on the road. When I mentioned above that all people have had idiot moments this includes myself. I was waiting behind a car making a right turn onto a very busy road. The car in front of me starts to make the turn. I inch ahead and look to the left to wait for an opening in traffic. I see the opening and start to make my turn, only to look in front of me and see the car I was waiting behind was still there, he only moved a few feet forward when I thought he took off. Luckily I hit the brakes soon enough to avoid hitting him in the ass end, which would have been my fault. needless to say I no longer assume that a car has taken off when he only jack rabbited forward and hit his brakes to wait for traffic. So now when I'm in front of the waiting line I do not jack rabbit forward and hit the brakes 'cuz the guy behind me may make the same mistake I made before, but he might not be as quick with the brake as I was. Since my little non-accident, I witnessed a Ford Exloder hit a Nissan Altima in the ass in the same type of situation but at a different intersection. I was close enough to hear the crunch. The Exploder was not moving very fast at all, but that Altima looked pretty ugly in the ass end.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I hear you all on this one. like 00 rt said, imagine what they could do so your ready for it. and you will experience it all the time but without your mom in the car when you get your license, dont worry about it speed up and use defensive driving

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a story to add towards idiot drivers...
I was driving the ambulance yesterday, responding to a um, possible CHF, when were were cruising down this road, doing about... 50 in a 35, lights and sirens. So I put on the blinker to make a left turn, when I see a silver stratus coming head on with me, about, oh i dont know, maybe 3/4 a mile down the road doing like 60. I change siren from wail to a yelp, wail on the air horn, and start making my turn, with the car still about 1/4 mile away, the ***** driving the car speeds up, cuts down the shoulder just to squeeze infront of me so that she wouldnt have to stop for me. The ***** clipped the front end of the ambulance, and bent 1 of our air horns, and boy was I pissed. But, I cleared my mind and kept going. Didnt notice she actually hit me till I got on scene.

You never really notice how many idiots are out and about untill your actually driving an extended period of time. I'll admit that ive made a couple idiot moves in the past, but Id like to think that I used them to learn what not to do, and that I wont repeat them again.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
^ nothing pisses me off more than jackasses that don't yeild to emergency vehicles responding, darwinism ****ing missed them

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ya gotta watch your temper on the road. I remember once when I lived out near Phoenix, during rush hour on one of the main streets a couple punk kids got an attitude about a couple in a mini-truck, guess they figured they were cut off or something, who knows. They pooped off a couple of shots at the mini-truck, what they weren't counting on was that the couple both returned fire, him with a .357 and her with her LadySmith .38. They were pissed because one of the kids first shots nicked their baby in a car seat between them. The kids somehow made a u-turn and high-tailed it out of there. The couple was hailed as heros and appeared on a few national talk shows.

·
Registered
391 Posts
1. If you are going to get into an accident, make sure that in the eyes of the law, it is the others fault.

2. If you follow step #1, at least try for a nice expensive car to hit you, like a mercedes, bmv, jaguar, or any expensive imports. The richer the other person is, the better off for you!

3. Get a sidearm/permit and have it ready incase someone tries to kill you.(non-related to topic, but the post above mine insipred me)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thats just part of driving. I almost got hit 3 times today at work. It's an everyday occurence when I'm deliverin pizza. Other drivers dont think they have to yield to me but what they dont know is I'm just waiting for the right one to come along and do it right. I dont want my car fixed, I want a check!

·
Registered
383 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
once you get your license, you'll experience this about 10 times a day. welcome to the road!
x2...

·
Registered
589 Posts
micholob said:
Thats just part of driving. I almost got hit 3 times today at work. It's an everyday occurence when I'm deliverin pizza. Other drivers dont think they have to yield to me but what they dont know is I'm just waiting for the right one to come along and do it right. I dont want my car fixed, I want a check!

pizza deliverin seems dangerous from what ive heard...

now about your sig... are you planning on flipping a challenger in the future or something?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Trytic said:
pizza deliverin seems dangerous from what ive heard...

now about your sig... are you planning on flipping a challenger in the future or something?
im sure its dangerous work in large cities and such, but not in my town. I have ball with it.

as for my sig... haha, someone finally mentioned it. but no I would never plan to flip any car... but you know a lot of them are gonna end up that way :icon_cry:

·
Registered
589 Posts
im not expecting to see many flipped like that... im actually expecting to see more eating trees then anything.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I always remember what my driving teacher told me:

Look at all the cars on the road when you're driving. And when you look at each one, ask yourself "what is the stupidest possible thing that asshole can do?". Then, expect them to do it.

That about sums up my philosophy on driving. I almost had some blonde on a phone sideswipe me with her suburban two days after I got my 02 ES.... that would have SUCKED. Thank god for the good handling...

Then there was the incredible swerve when another cell phone wielding blonde ran the light in her SUV...... I love this car and it probably saved my ass that day, getting hit with an EXCURSION at 50 mph would have HURT.

The handling is the reason I have an Intrepid and not a Regal GS... The GS is a bit faster but not as agile.

I love the accident avoidance capabilities of this car. When the handling saves your ass you forget all about the transmission imperfections....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
yeah, i know my blinkers work fine, i checked them the other day. I think the worse thing i've done is i left my blinker on to long once, one car just slammed on the breaks and turned with out a blinker so i fliped on my blinker real fast and got in the left lane then there was an jeep doing the same thing but turning left, so i had to flip on my blinker again and got in the right lane and i ended up passing him with it on, my mind was on being ready for some one else to turn, cars pulling out in front of me and keeping my car stedy... I usaly get pretty nervus when someone trys to pass me, i always fear i'm gonna get to close to them, but i think i've over come that now i had to drive my parents around the other night, they went to the bar.. They where pretty wasted, i dont care if i set out side in my car for 2 hours or not it could have saved they're lives, my cars life, and someone elses life. I cant wait to get back out on the road, every thing is just so simple, driving is the easyest thing to do, for me neways..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.