DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to make the car idle faster? My car kinda idles at low speeds at lights and what not. Someone know how to do this? I looked all over in the haynes repair manual and couldn't find a thing! Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
how many rpms are you doing at idle?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
park - 850-900
in gear around 5-600rpm I think.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your idle speeds seem OK. What seems to be the problem at stop lights? Does it shake a little? Try cleaning the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Clean the idle air motor. Maybe a new fuel filter. Possibly you may need the throttle bodies cleaned. Don't mess with the idle if it is still at factory setting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got the same problem, will it hurt the engine if I just leave it alone?? Or is it a good idea to fix it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
mine does the same, i'm gonna try cleaning the TBs...i posted once about the proper way of cleaning them but nobody replied :(

i am gonna have to break down and try the cam sensor too - i guess if my idle is better it's worth resetting the stereo presets and clock.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I told you how I cleaned them. I took both of them off and used throttle body cleaner on both sides of the plate. Make sure to get the area where the plate closes good and the edges of the throttle blade. And why do you have to kill your battery to clean a cam position sensor? Take a 10 mm socket i think it is, unbolt take it out and yank all that crap off, and yank that stupid paper spacer if you want too its not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if you're talkin about the other day when i IMed you i never got the IM, my computer took a crap. also, the chilton's and haynes manual both said to disconnect the battery to do the CPS job.

·
Registered
587 Posts
how hard is it to do the crankshaft sensor? I did the camshaft sensor and that was easy, but it still idles a little rough-better than before.....could dirty TB's really cause a rough idle???

·
Registered
502 Posts
These RPM ranges you're describing are normal. Startup is going to be between 800-950. It's higher because the computer is sensing engine temp and is running those RPMS to help bring oil/fluid temp up to temp.

After driving the car and coming to a stop light the motor is obviously warmer now, so the higher RPMS are no longer needed, so it runs about 500 - 600. I wondered about why it ran so low, as well, when I first noticed.

There is some slight shake at both startup and at stoplights, but it's minimal.

As for changing the timing, I read somewhere that the computer works with the position sensors of the cam to automatically adjust engine timing, so I would think it'd be kinda pointless to mess with it if it resets itself.

Just my 7.62 worth of info.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The crank sensor is the same as the cam sensor, its just a ***** to get to.

Its mounted on the top side of the bell housing on the passenger side. If you remove your intake, it should be easier to find. Otherwise, it can be reached from under the car, but you would be doing it blind.

Arent the higher revs at startup becasue the car is automatically choked at startup? Higher revs are required to make it run smooth with the rich mixture.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I no longer need to do this. I replaced all six of my spark plug wires and the car rides like a dream now. Smooth as ever. Thanks anyways guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts