DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a 3.2 intrepid and have miles on it then this is for you....

how many miles have you kept it going on the original transmission/motor etc etc?

any transmission problems? anything serious?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,842 Posts
My 3.2 had 211,000 miles when I got it. I got the engine for free and rebuilt it and installed it in my car (100k blown 2.7). I took the vin off of the engine and ran it to find the mileage. It was salvaged due to an accident.

I got 140,000 out of my transmission.

·
Registered
281 Posts
169k on first 3.2, 169k on transmission, then 3.2 died possibly because of high mileage oil. Dont use high mileage till your over 200k. trust me i found out the hard way.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
169k on first 3.2, 169k on transmission, then 3.2 died possibly because of high mileage oil. Dont use high mileage till your over 200k. trust me i found out the hard way.
What happened? Ive used it a lot of times in my car with no problems.

And I have 160,000 on my trans. Only thing that went bad were the input and output sensors, which is common with high mileage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
High Mileage oil is way more rich and thicker than regualr oil which i think screwed up the timing in the motor and the oil pump coudnt filter it enough, causing the camshafts, pistons, lifters, Valves, to run in different orders. Thats what i think. Until someone can tell me how high mileage doesnt hurt the motor, i dont know how it happend, all of a sudden it just......... died.......... right after i put the oil in.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Most HM oil is slightly thicker than non-HM oil. If it's an xW30, then it' still a 30W oil at 100 Deg C and it meets the requirements of the engine. IF the oil pump couldn't pump enough xW30 HM oil, then it was shot to begin with and it would have failed anyway.

Oil has nothing to do with engine timing.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,842 Posts
High Mileage oil is way more rich and thicker than regualr oil which i think screwed up the timing in the motor and the oil pump coudnt filter it enough, causing the camshafts, pistons, lifters, Valves, to run in different orders. Thats what i think. Until someone can tell me how high mileage doesnt hurt the motor, i dont know how it happend, all of a sudden it just......... died.......... right after i put the oil in.
That might be true if all the mechanical parts in the engine were operated using hydraulic oil pressure, and not mechanically driven, and the oil you were using was 75W-90 gear oil or something to that affect....

Your oil pump may have bit the dust...and it wouldnt matter what type of oil was in it, could have been 5w30. Your timing belt could have broke, you could have spun a bearing, hard to say without having the engine in front of me.

Oil most definitely will not cause an engine to fail instantly, whether it be Mobil 1, or High mileage oil....unless you run the engine out of oil completely...or put 75W90 gear oil in your crankcase....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 98 Concorde with a 3.2 engine and she has 202,000 miles on her. I change the oil in her every 5000 miles except with a new oil filter every 2500 miles. My trans. is still the same one, I buy Trans shift solenoids off eBay cause the ones in my tranny go out every year or so. I change my tranny fluid and filter twice a year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just replaced my trans. it had 124,*** mi on it. After my accident, I had to get the "brake booster" replaced. A wire was pinched and my trans was stuck in 2nd gear "idle mode". I replaced the sensors first, thinking that was the problem...I was wrong. So I just put in in the shop and now I have a brand new (rebuilt, lol) trans, new "trans comp." (would that be the PCM??) and a new wiring harness <---the initial problem, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like someone is feeding you a line of BS.Brake boosters operate off engine vacumn, they stopped using those about 20-30 yrs ago. They use Hydraulic fluid systems now. The computer for your car is a TCM [trans control module]. Most problems occur because of the Shift Solenoid which fails every few years or more,the check engine light will come on and code's in the 700's will be stored in the PCM [powertrain control module]. You must have misunderstood about the brake booster. Gotta go, LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like someone is feeding you a line of BS.Brake boosters operate off engine vacumn, they stopped using those about 20-30 yrs ago. They use Hydraulic fluid systems now. The computer for your car is a TCM [trans control module]. Most problems occur because of the Shift Solenoid which fails every few years or more,the check engine light will come on and code's in the 700's will be stored in the PCM [powertrain control module]. You must have misunderstood about the brake booster. Gotta go, LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

no, I broke a part of the brake booster (on the inside of my car, behind the brake pedal) in my accident. I REALLY DIDN'T WANNA HIT THAT WALL, lol!

the wire was pinched when it was being replace, lol. by the time the problem was figured out, I had already shaved off a gear or two, lol.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,842 Posts
harness <---the initial problem, lol.[/B][/SIZE]
Hmmm...getting to be a common issue lately... I diagnosed a bad tranny harness a few weeks ago, and discovered another bad one this week. :hmm:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm...getting to be a common issue lately... I diagnosed a bad tranny harness a few weeks ago, and discovered another bad one this week. :hmm:

yea, it pissed me off because I paid for a trans and found out it wasn't the problem. then I got a new PCM. only to find out that it's the Harness. I guess it's a good thing though. I now have a new trans, pcm and harness. However, I can no longer operate my mirrors and my Check Engine light came back on Saturday (I got the car back Thursday). When I went to Autozone, the chick said my "port" wasn't working...

IDK wat to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts