DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty much very low on funds after purchasing a new axe, paying for school, and buying parts for the "summer" car...but i will be, this week or the next, be installing 2 exhaust bypasses right onto the headers themselves.
these will give me the option of having wide open exhaust flow, by bypassing #3 cat and the rest of the exhaust system...if im at the track, simply unbolt two plugs i am going to install in the headers, and race. if im on the street, bolt em up, and everythings normal.
i want to see how much of a drop (if any) will be on my dial-in time...etc...etc. ill tell you guys when im done.

(any opinions? before i do something stupid?)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the problem with reducing back pressure too much is that the exhaust still has to travel to the rear of the vehicle. if you make a cutout, like we are talking about here, the gases only have to travel about 18 inches from the cylinders to the exit.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
careful.. don't light anything on fire under the trep.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my buddys got a similar setup on his 5.0 mustang, and he was faster by .2 seconds or so the last time he was at the track... 14.781 @ 98 mph with street tires, with both exhaust bypasses open...couldnt hurt to give it a shot, right? hell, both of those parts total only comes to 25 bucks...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
changed my mind altogether...over winter break (4 weeks long) i am going to have access to another exhaust pipe bender, so i am going to rip out my current exhaust and attempt to fabricate duals from the 3rd cat back...(do single-in/dual-out catalytic converters exist?!), and either purchase another 40 series flowmaster, and run em out left-right at the rear, or scrap them altogether and purchase another flowmaster model with dual-in and out, run the pipes w/ hangers out the back of the car on the drivers side only. i am thinking about using the same size pipe as well, 2.5".
figure that is the last thing im gonna do to the car...i just "traded" for another car...i handed over a guitar to my buddy chris in trade for his clunker oldsmobile (a red jackson neck thru strat style with a khaler bridge...sweet gitar) ...gonna see what junkyard crap and cheap modifications i can put on this car to make it into a louder piece o' crap
:D ...i dont like the motor thou...i want to swap for a carbed 305 crate motor...but thats just getting ahead of myself.........i dunno, maybe the 307...i dont know, i just know that a 305 has everything and anything aftermarket for it........not like intrepids!!!!dammit

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by Valhalla 21340:
, so i am going to rip out my current exhaust and attempt to fabricate duals from the 3rd cat back...(do single-in/dual-out catalytic converters exist?!),
Why do you need a single in dual outlet cat?The third cat comes out as one pipe. Either split it again or go illegal and chop in front of the cat. Going with dual you really don't need to run 2 1/2" all the way although it would look cooler. You coould get better launches with 2". If you want you can put a bigger pipe after the mufflers. I would run one out each side. More noticeable as different than stock that way.(as if the noise won't be noticable enough.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I my concorde 1996 i remove the third cat and no engine light come on but you must keep 2 others cat. And for the next summer I will trie one single exhaust whit 3'' diameter. I thiks this is the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts