DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal....

I'm at a crossroads with the most abused of my LH cars. This thing had three owners before me and 4 drivers while I owned in (none were me). Its a 97 with a 3.5 and has 190K on it, it should have life left but like I said its been abused.

Hood is all dented, doors and DS quarter are rusting badly. The two precats are bad and the only way it passed emissions is doing a tailpipe test, they will only do that once so at most this car has 20 more months, tic tic. It needs a front end alignment which I was planning on doing in the next couple weeks but now it started leaking oil pretty badly. Looks like all the cam seals are leaking pretty bad, the entire bottom of the motor is covered with oil and you can see it trailing from the top corners of the motor. I just took (like 10 minutes ago) the front covers off and took a peek and it looks like the seals are wet and there were a couple drops of coolant on the block. TB and WP are no big deal but combined with an alignment and seals I just don't know. It runs great, has solid suspension and newish (9 month old) tires .

One more twist, my dad is selling a low low mileage car come April.

So do I scrap and replace this one now, do I fix it and drive it for another 20 months or do I add oil until April and do the alignment.

So how much work are the cam seals? Whats the cost.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you need another parts car? Do you have a car that could receive your good suspension and tires, etc?

No I don't. In time id use some of the parts but who knows. I'd probably buy another 1st gen with a better body and build bride of frankintrep.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
X2!!!! Yes, that is what to do.
That was my first thought but I think I may be better oof just getting the alignment and riding it out until April pissing oil.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My dad is selling a low mileage (37K) car in April that I have had dibs on since he bought it new in 02. Its an Impala LS with a timing chain 3.8L. Its never been driven in Winter and the last two years he had it in Florida, he wants to get rid of it when he leaves Florida at the end of March/early April next year. I'll likely have to fly down and get it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hate to say it put I would junk it!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone do cam seals?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I think Devan was asking which type of LH it was as to whether you fix it or part it.

As for the cam seals - I did them with the engine out of the car - you can do with with the engine in, I would probably suggest removing the cowl and wiper bucket, then the air intake box (but leave the upper plenum in place), and then change them. They are a three bolt plate, with an o-ring behind the plate. The o-ring gets hard and ineffective. There is an upgradeded rear plate available for the second gen 3.5, that would apply to the first gen cars - removes the o-ring and puts in a gasket... OR, use the right size o-ring - I found one in a plumbing section of a hardware store to fix mine - lasted till the engine trashed itself at least.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Devan was asking which type of LH it was as to whether you fix it or part it.

As for the cam seals - I did them with the engine out of the car - you can do with with the engine in, I would probably suggest removing the cowl and wiper bucket, then the air intake box (but leave the upper plenum in place), and then change them. They are a three bolt plate, with an o-ring behind the plate. The o-ring gets hard and ineffective. There is an upgradeded rear plate available for the second gen 3.5, that would apply to the first gen cars - removes the o-ring and puts in a gasket... OR, use the right size o-ring - I found one in a plumbing section of a hardware store to fix mine - lasted till the engine trashed itself at least.
The manual has nearly no information about the rear seals. I read a few threads here and have an idea of whats involved. The front seem more involved because of the covers and pulleys but not a huge deal.

I found what I believe are the correct mopar parts online and its an inexpensive project at least. The other part is getting the cam alignment tool which I found for like $50. Just not sure if I want to invest the time. I should really take a couple pictures of this car for you guys, its really a wreck. Rusty and every panel dented, hard to get motivated to work on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts