DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

installing one of these in the side terminal on my yellow top, cranked down a bit to hard and snapped it off.. so i've got the stud left in the side of the yellow top now..

I've already tried hammerin a socket on to it and vicegrips.. any other suggestions?

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
An extractor is your best bet. Take the battery out, drill the center of the broken stud, then screw it out with the extractor.
yeah.. been there.. just got done tryin that..

anything else?

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its in there to stay.. I was tryin to get it to turn using a flatblade and hammer.. i'm just using the screw driver like a chizle at this point..

fark me.. time for plan b.. which is ugly..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Veeb0rg said:
its in there to stay.. I was tryin to get it to turn using a flatblade and hammer.. i'm just using the screw driver like a chizle at this point..

fark me.. time for plan b.. which is ugly..
Start with a very small, very sharp drill bit, like maybe a 1/16" and try to drill dead center level into the stud. Check the other terminal and see how deep you can go and don't go any further! Then once you've got this pilot hole drilled, go up a size and repeat, up a size and repeat, until you're about to the size of the original terminal hole - it may take you half a dozen or more steps but each should go quickly. Then get a tap and GENTLY tap the correct sized threads in what's left. You might just get out the rest of the busted off stud if you have been drilling straight enough, otherwise you should be able to tap some usable threads. Get a cheap set of drill bits at the bargain table of your local hardware store and it will have plenty of drill bits for this purpose. Never overtighten sh*t!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Indiana Intrep said:
Start with a very small, very sharp drill bit, like maybe a 1/16" and try to drill dead center level into the stud. Check the other terminal and see how deep you can go and don't go any further! Then once you've got this pilot hole drilled, go up a size and repeat, up a size and repeat, until you're about to the size of the original terminal hole - it may take you half a dozen or more steps but each should go quickly. Then get a tap and GENTLY tap the correct sized threads in what's left. You might just get out the rest of the busted off stud if you have been drilling straight enough, otherwise you should be able to tap some usable threads. Get a cheap set of drill bits at the bargain table of your local hardware store and it will have plenty of drill bits for this purpose. Never overtighten sh*t!
That would have been my next step if the extractors didn't work. Fortunately, my extractors have always worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.