DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I basically have three choices for springs:
R/T springs, stiffer with no drop
300M special springs, stiffer with .5" drop
Eibach springs, stiffer with 1" drop.

The 1 inch drop doesnt bother me. Which one of these gives the best balance of ride quality and handling? I'm leaning towards the Eibachs at the moment. Any input would be cool.

As for struts, that is the real area of debate. What do I get? I want improved control but I still want to be comfy on long trips. Race only struts (ie hard as a rock) are out. Stiff = good, harsh = bad!

I need some suggestions; I'm kinda new to the suspension modding game.

At 57K, the current suspension is starting to get soft, so this would be a sweet opportunity for me to upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts
I couldn't be happier with the upgrade I did this summer, new oem struts and canuck motorsport springs, 1.8" drop (more like 1.5" if that)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be too much of a drop to be safe in this town. The roads SUCK and there are potholes and dips everywhere ins ome parts of town, one of these crappy roads leads to my favorite chinese food place, Radio Shack and Audio Magic (our local sound shop where people actually KNOW things), so I guess you could say I travel it a lot.

Now when I move to Arlington for school, it may be OK, but I will be traveling to back to Abilene every 2-3 weeks, so I still need a bit of clearance.

1" drop is pretty much the max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Not sure which Intrepid you have. Chrysler makes 3 struts for the car Lux, Firm, and Sport. Lux, is used on all but R/T's and 300M's. 300M's use Firm, and R/T's and 300M PHG/P's and R/T's use sport. If you have the the base intrepid I would go with the firm struts, and the Eibach springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a ride in a PHP 300M (too bad the ride was only to pick up the school van, about 3 blocks!), I didn't find the ride too harsh.

Is the PHP 300M similar to the R/T in terms of ride quality? If so, then, why not just get the sport struts?

Or are there some aftermarket struts I should be looking at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
Get the suspension from a Special. I got it a while ago and I'm never going back to the stock mushy suspension. Handling improved greatly, even though I didn't notice if my car sits lower, but I didn't care about that in the first place. So you could say it's the best of both worlds, handling+clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
300Michael said:
Not sure which Intrepid you have. Chrysler makes 3 struts for the car Lux, Firm, and Sport. Lux, is used on all but R/T's and 300M's. 300M's use Firm, and R/T's and 300M PHG/P's and R/T's use sport. If you have the the base intrepid I would go with the firm struts, and the Eibach springs.
That is incorrect. All SE & ES intrepids and non-php 300ms have the touring suspension. Intrepid R/Ts and PHP 300ms have performance suspension, the special has sport, and the police has heavy duty. The touring and performance suspensions are mostly the same with the exception of the struts. The sport and heavy duty suspensions are different and similar to each other, but the special has lower springs.

There is no specific thing as R/T springs. If you look at the service manual, the struts are different based on your suspension code. The springs are not specific to any one model, your specific spring type is independent of your suspension type. In other words, it is possible that the springs from an R/T are exactly the same as yours. I don't think anyone really knows the difference between the springs, other than the ones on the special that are lower. The only way to find out what springs you have is to get the build sheet for your car from your dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
hardwareguy said:
I have had a ride in a PHP 300M (too bad the ride was only to pick up the school van, about 3 blocks!), I didn't find the ride too harsh.

Is the PHP 300M similar to the R/T in terms of ride quality? If so, then, why not just get the sport struts?

Or are there some aftermarket struts I should be looking at?
The only real decent aftermarket struts that are available are the KYBs. Some have found that they get very low mileage out of them. They're not cheap but if you're looking for a quality strut that will give you good handling without sacrificing ride quality, the stock R/T/PHP ones are the way to go.

I will be putting on the stcok replacements in the spring with eibach springs. I've heard it's a good combo. From what I've heard, the R/T struts are amde by tokico, but I'm not positive about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Get the suspension from a Special. I got it a while ago and I'm never going back to the stock mushy suspension. Handling improved greatly, even though I didn't notice if my car sits lower, but I didn't care about that in the first place. So you could say it's the best of both worlds, handling+clearance.

How much did it cost?
I may mix it up a bit, 300M Special strut with Eibach springs, or I may just go with the Special springs....... OK, so I'm basically set on the struts, now for the springs. Cost will be a MAJOR factor on the springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,188 Posts
hardwareguy said:
How much did it cost?
I may mix it up a bit, 300M Special strut with Eibach springs, or I may just go with the Special springs....... OK, so I'm basically set on the struts, now for the springs. Cost will be a MAJOR factor on the springs.
I believeve the eibachs were discontinued, so they may be hard to find. Unless you get them from a wreck, the OEM springs will be much more than any aftermarket ones, and I don't think you'll notice much of a difference. Aftermarket is probably the best way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
Ummm really I don't remember bcs I got it as a bundle from Ross with the Special leather seats, body harness door skins etc etc a long while ago oh and the beefier knuckles too. I do know that my stock suspension struts say Tokico on them, I didn't pay attention to what the Special had written on them. I'd tell you though, if you need clearance bcs of bad roads like we have here up north, just get the whole Special setup, easier to swap also as it's one assembly with springs and struts, ride is tight, so if you don't like to feel the road stay away from these, but handles like a dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts
Well as of about 25 minutes ago, I can verify that my suspension works extremely well at traveling 72 mph and doing an abrupt v-shaped zig zag onto the shoulder and back, right around a big ass deer in the road...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,566 Posts
IntrepidBus IV said:
Well as of about 25 minutes ago, I can verify that my suspension works extremely well at traveling 72 mph and doing an abrupt v-shaped zig zag onto the shoulder and back, right around a big ass deer in the road...
Hell Yeah! Good one man! Had to rep ya for that. I'll bet that was quite a rush! GOOD eye!!!

btw...Eibachs are the Shiznit!!!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top