DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I have any desire to race, but my sisters fiance has an '01 or '02 (can't remember exactly) Pontiac Grand Prix GT. He loves my Special and wonders if he could take me in a drag race. I'd say I should be able to win...having nearly 65 more HP (added 8 HP to base 255 with FIPK) to his 200 HP. However, my 300 weighs 200 lbs. more and seems to lack a bit off the line.

Just in theory, what is your opinion? I may one day get him out at night on some open road and give it a go for the fun of it. However, he is the personality type that likes to rub it in when and not let it go when you're wrong or you lose, so I'd rather not even let the chance present itself.

Other than my FIPK, neither car has any performance mods so it would pretty much be stock against stock. A little trash talking is fun, but it also helps to know you can back it up on the field too!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Being that I've lost GTs on several occasions, I would say you have nothing to worry about. Line 'em up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gran Prix ???

Does anyone even know what the rear end of a Pontiac Gran Prix looks like ?

All I see is the front end in the rear view mirror.

I think Pontiac dealers have some kind of small penis pre-purchase verification program for Gran Prix drivers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
you should take him with no problem! jump all over his @$$, then brag about it like he would.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My mom has a 2000 GP GT.
I've driven it many times, and of course, I've driven my car many times.
Despite the fact that my ES is a 3.5 Non-HO, I am fairly confident that I could pull off the win in a drag race with it.
My car feels a lot stronger off the line than the GT does. The only thing that 3.8 seems to be good for is roasting the tires, but my 3.5 does that pretty nicely as well.
Now if we were speaking of a GTP, then it would be a different story.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Stock 1/4 mile times:
Chrysler LH Vehicle 3.5L HO = 15.7 to 15.9ish
GM previous gen Grand Prix GT 3.8L = 16.6ish (some will claim faster, but I've seen about 5 GT's race the EXACT same times at the track I was at)

I've beaten a few Bonneville SSEI's and a supercharged 3.8L Buick Riviera. I've heard GTP's are lighter though. The Riviera races were very tight........I only beat him by a car length each time.

I beat a GTP fairly easily.........in my Laser :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
The cars are close enough in capability that you could either win or lose depending upon driver reaction time, individual car condition, and skill level. The fisrt two are obvious, but think that just because your car is an automatic that your skill level isn't very important. You could easily lose a second if you don't know how to launch correctly. You also can't discount luck.

Slower cars win races all the time. Many years ago, during my misspent youth, I regularly took money from guys with faster cars than me. Funny how a yard or two on the line can really rattle someone. Even better if all his buddies are watching. :sly:

I wouldn't bother racing for bragging rights. If you want to do it, tell this guy you'll race him heads up for $500 at a track with timing equipment. He'll probably never bring it up again.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I believe GTP's post very close stock 1/4 times as compared to R/T's and Specials.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've raced one before in my concorde with the 3.2L, lost by a car length.

The one time i showed to a track, there was a never style GP 2004+ that ran a 16.5 in the 1/4, so i wouldnt think they're much to worry about.

It will be a close race any way you look at it, but a good one!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You shouldn't have any troubles with the GT....the GTP however will roast your as*.
I have a 98 GTP and it runs circles around my R/T....hands down, no contest. Power out of the GMs pushrod is much better...add the supercharger(no lag)and weeeeeeeeee.
I can eat up at least half of all V8s in it. It's punch off the line is hard to beat for a big heavy family car. 280ft/lbs of torque...Stock 0-60 times of 6.8 doesn't hurt.
Add to that the fact that with about $300-$500 you can EASILY add 60WHP to it and now you can run with the Hemi's.....I love it.
Yes I love my R/T but truth be told I love my GTP more.
So much more that I am on the hunt for another GTP fully loaded with low miles to replace my aging 1 which now has 168,000 miles or 269,000kms.(motor still runs extremely strong. GM built a winner with the 3.8L)
I'll never let my R/T go, I like the ride better then my GP but when I feel the need for speed I always take my GTP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey IntrepidBus IV,
Like your rides....I also happen to have an '01 Patriot Blue Durango SLT+ 4x4, as well as the obvious...an 02 R/T and a 98 GP GTP. Seems we have very similar tastes.
Also have a 2001 GP SE....wife's car. Wimpy little 3.1L 175HP V6 in that...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Hey IntrepidBus IV,
Like your rides....I also happen to have an '01 Patriot Blue Durango SLT+ 4x4, as well as the obvious...an 02 R/T and a 98 GP GTP. Seems we have very similar tastes.
Also have a 2001 GP SE....wife's car. Wimpy little 3.1L 175HP V6 in that...
Sweet! You do have good taste! :icon_smil

Don't happen to have a camaro or roadrunner in the stable do you!?

·
Registered
40 Posts
No....:(
Man what I wouldn't do for either 1 though...including giving up 1 nut!
One day...one day....Even if it takes 'till I retire.
Would also love a GTO, Chevelle, Super-Bee.....Man now I am drooling all over the keyboard agian.
Don't burst my bubble....After all, kill the dream, kill the man.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts