DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the inner tie rod bushings. Mine had completed failed and I am getting a wobble at low speed. I can get the bushings without replacing the whole rod, but what I am wondering is do the bushings have to be pressed in and how bad a job is this? Help

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i was wonderin the price too...my car is having some tie rod issues also :rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
you had come to the perfect person my friend. I had mine replaced also like 2 months ago. DO NOT GO TO A MIDAS!. These guys did a great job finding out the actual problem, but they stated that you will need to purchse the tie rod end also. That this bushings are not sold seperatly. So my cost would be $189 total. Dude, I went to my pepboys, they had the bushings for like 6.99 for the pair and had them put on for $40. I did not need to who bar. The dealer will not sell you just the bushingsat all. Man, my wheels were going in 10 different dirrections. My car was so loose. If not fixed, it will be a MAJOR problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I actual labor and if these were pressed, well I do not know. They are located right below our manifold towards the firewall in the 3.5's. He had it done in 1 hr? You do not want to do this yourself unless if you are a pro, BRO :D Good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I just found the bushings at Advance Auto for 10.99 Part #HB1647K it is a kits with both left and right bushings and the 2-holed plate and spacers. I had called my local Dodge garage and they do sell the bushings but they said that they had to be pressed in and would charge 1 hour labor to press them in. BS. I e-mailed "79lilred" from this forum, he had done his and said it is a breeze. So I will do them this weekend. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
560 Posts
[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Valhalla 21340 ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had mine replaced...actually they were my "sway bar links", but I think they are about the same thing. My car made a clunking noise when I went over bumps....I took it to the Dodge Dealership and it was $240 with labor. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't noticed any difference in the ride of the car. I just have a vibration or low speed wobble in the front end. When I go over bumps though, the tie rod will make a thumping noise, since the bushing is gone. Plus I also have mega play in the steering whell feel like I am driving a semi, turn the wheel 3-4 inches before anything happens. I just hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
it will fix it, but you have to fix it soon my friend before they break off. If that happens, it was nice knowing the car. You will need to get an alignment too. You should be ok. I just went to the same damm thing :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
actually they were my "sway bar links", but I think they are about the same thing.
as inner tie rod bushings? no....they're NOT.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: 79lilred ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will need to get an alignment too.
Why? I didn't.
You're actually correcting an alignment problem when you replace the worn out bushings. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't get a periodic alignment check, but just because you replace the inner tie rod bushings does not "require" one - you're not changing any adjustments.

-steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by Eric:
I had mine replaced...actually they were my "sway bar links", but I think they are about the same thing. My car made a clunking noise when I went over bumps....I took it to the Dodge Dealership and it was $240 with labor. Hope that helps.
Just thought I would let you know that the links are aboutt $25 and take about 45 min. to install (being generous on time). I had mine done in 15, but I do that all day. Oh and they make 2 bushing kits. 1 has 2 piece poly-urethane bushings, the other is factory rubber. Go with the 2 piece. Much easier to put in and lasts longer because of poly

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did it, replaced the bushings last night. Oh my God it drives like a new car. If anyone has play in the steering wheel, check the tie rod bushings. I wasn't too bad to replace, just a pain in the a-- to get to, the fuel lines on the 3.3 run right in front of the tie rods, so forget the socket, you will wrench-it thread by thread, given that it only took 1 hour to change them. Thanks for all the info guys.

Mike

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mike's 96 Intrepid ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey jnutz - where do you get the poly bushings?

Mike - glad it was a success! Wonder how much $$ you saved doing it yourself?

-steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have not put them in mine, but that is what we have used for 5-6 at the shop. (mine are still good. They are Moog deals we get from CarQuest

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is a funny subject.. I just had my inner-tide rode replaced 2 days ago.. I bought the whole rod (with the bushing) from the dealer for about $65 (I was told that you couldnt just buy the bushing. oh well) so I had my uncle who is a dealer and mechanic install it.. Everything cost me $100 thats with part and labor.. And yes, my car does drive like a new car once again.. Thank God.. Also had both sway bar links replaced 3 months ago.. They do tend to mess up in these cars.. Happy Driving..

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Im getting all my **** (inner tie rod end, wheel bearing, ball joint, control arm, ect.) fixed tomorrow. Ill update this post and tell how much better my car drives. Right now the steering is loose as hell, it pulls like a bastard, and it has WAY more torque steer than it should.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts