DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been replacing the inner tie rod bushing yearly lately. I usually get the split ones but the seem to always wear out shortly after. I have a couple of questions, should this be happening with the split bushings? Am I tightening them to much? Whats should I do to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
had the same problem. Went through 2 sets of the 2 piece, so the last time I did it which I think was 8-12 months ago(Id have to look it up) I installed the one piece ones and they are still good. Theyre a pain in the ass to get in but I think they last longer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
when you replace the bushings, do you take off the plenum for easier access? I did my inner bushings about a yr ago and it did not help the clunk. I got around to changing all the lower frame bushings since they were wasted and i still have a clunk. i did 1 sway bar link but I think it was ok to begin with. the upper frame bushings look ok for the most part.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
joe_mn said:
when you replace the bushings, do you take off the plenum for easier access? I did my inner bushings about a yr ago and it did not help the clunk. I got around to changing all the lower frame bushings since they were wasted and i still have a clunk. i did 1 sway bar link but I think it was ok to begin with. the upper frame bushings look ok for the most part.
No, wiper arms, cowl, strut support (brace) and air intake need to be removed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took a closer look at the rack and when you turn the wheel the whole rack moves a bit, just slides back and forth about 1/2 and inch, I assume this is not normal? The rack was just replaced about 2 years ago and when Chrysler put it on they said that the one that was orgionally on the car was not a standard rack but they "made" this one fit, anyone know why I would have a different rack?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definatly play in the bushings, I checked the Chilton book I have and it talks about 2 different types of racks, a standard and some speed-proportionial one, would the bushing be the same for both? I guess this would explain why I keep thinking the inner bushing need to be replaced, they have probably been fine all along.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
smelanson said:
Definatly play in the bushings, I checked the Chilton book I have and it talks about 2 different types of racks, a standard and some speed-proportionial one, would the bushing be the same for both? I guess this would explain why I keep thinking the inner bushing need to be replaced, they have probably been fine all along.
I replaced the rack bushings and the clunk stopped, thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts