DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Dan,
When shopping for an ES front bumper I see there is some sort of difference between the front bumper for an Intrepid that has ABS and those that don't. At least that's the way they are advertised, with or with out ABS. Is there really any difference or will any ES bumper cover fit? And if there is a difference how do I tell if my Intrepid has ABS? I'm referring to your how to on installing an ES bumper with fogs.
Thanks,
Bob

· Woober Goobers!
53,696 Posts
Easiest way to tell if you have ABS is to start your car and look at the cluster. If the ABS light comes on and stays on for a few seconds after starting you have ABS. Otherwise you can take a look under the bumper in front of the drivers side wheel and the ABS pump will be there in that area. If it's not there..then no ABS.
As far as bumper cover differences for ABS..I don't know of any. I'll look at the parts catalog to make sure.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks, I do have ABS come to think of it cause I've seen the light come on when I start it up. Just wanted to make sure. That way too, I'll know what to look for when I scour the junkyards looking for an ES front bumper, I can look for the pump in that location. Apparently there is some sort of difference cause the parts catalogs list one for ABS and one W/O ABS. Appreciate the info.

· Woober Goobers!
53,696 Posts
I checked the 2001 Mopar LH parts catalog and they only show 2 bumper covers for Dodge. One is with fogs and one without. Are you talking about an aftermarket catalog or something else?

These are the two numbers in the 2001 catalog I have:

04574834AB 1 D P, X
04574843AB 1 D H

It's item # 6 in Figure 13-210 of the Frames and Bumpers section.

Attachments

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I checked the 2001 Mopar LH parts catalog and they only show 2 bumper covers for Dodge. One is with fogs and one without. Are you talking about an aftermarket catalog or something else?

These are the two numbers in the 2001 catalog I have:

04574834AB 1 D P, X
04574843AB 1 D H

It's item # 6 in Figure 13-210 of the Frames and Bumpers section.
It was an aftermarket catalog and I can't find the ad now. I'm looking at a bunch of them on ebay and they all show only with or without fogs, nothing is said about ABS.

· Registered
35 Posts
Most of the yards around here are not 'pick-a-part types' due to Washington liability laws, so they do all the pulling. They also don't seem willing to sell the cover only, and want to sell the whole bumper assembly which I am assuming includes the re-inforcement beam etc. I can get an undamaged 98 ES complete assembly (in silver to match my 2k Trep) for $200+tax. Since I only plan on keeping it silver until I get all the body work done(an then paint it semi-gloss black), would it just be cheaper to get an aftermarket cover already in gelcoat/primer and the fogs seperately? At least that way it would be 1 less panel to prep for paint.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm planning on piecing it together with an aftermarket primed cover, and installing the fogs, wiring and switches in it. Most likely going to buy them on ebay, that seems to be the best prices. I haven't found any ES cars in the wrecking yards around here, so I can't even get a price on what the whole setup would run to do it that way. I'd say $200 for the complete set up is a good deal, I'd pay that for everything, especially if it was already in my body color.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
If anyone's interested, I found a body parts supplier in Pensacola that has brand new Intrepid front bumper covers, either with or without fog light cutouts. The price is $65.00 and the shipping obviously would depend on where you are. I didn't ask but I imagine they have excellent prices on other replacement body panels as well. It's called BPA and the number is 850-477-1909. I get up there about once a week for work so I'm picking mine up. You might say I'm pretty excited to get a new one for that price. And I found a good shop that will spray it for $75.00. The conversion is well on its way!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts