DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so here is the problem. I have a 97' 3.5L and I have installed a aftermarket cd player, well it doesn't exactly fit. It may be because of the wires running to my subs. But the cd player won't sit in all the way and I can't get it to stay in either. If anyone can help let me know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
spaz_boy31 said:
Alright so here is the problem. I have a 97' 3.5L and I have installed a aftermarket cd player, well it doesn't exactly fit. It may be because of the wires running to my subs. But the cd player won't sit in all the way and I can't get it to stay in either. If anyone can help let me know.
zip ties, lots of patience, and make sure ur not using some huge home electrical twist caps or nothin like that, use solder or crimps. that's the best advice i can give u

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Get an installation kit for an Intrepid, you should get the right faceplate to make it sit flush......Check all your wires behind it too.....

·
Registered
715 Posts
when you say it doesn't exactly fit, do you mean you used an install kit and the deck will not push all the way back?? or you simply put the deck into the dash openning and it doesn't fit? be a little more specific.
but, if it is due to rca's behind the deck, try shifting the wires around back there. try shifting to both sides, top and bottom etc. as stated before, patience is a virtue.....

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
the install kits they sell contain a bracket thing that makes the radio sit out about an inch farther. You can either use this or just fight with it a lot and make it fit. if you use the aluminum clips around the radio itself, you might be able to get it to sit close to flush.

·
Registered
458 Posts
try going to crutchfield.com, and see if they have a faceplate and wiring instructions for your cd player and the subs....they have lots of helpful **** there.....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, and mlkmgr, i have used and install kit, but it just wont go back all the way, the rca cables are what the problem is, but ill look on crutchfield

·
Registered
655 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
the install kits they sell contain a bracket thing that makes the radio sit out about an inch farther.
yes, only 2 rare GM kits come with that piece....thats why first gen treps are extra labor in BB book lol....unless u can cut that lil piece that comes with the kit to make that little piece just like in the GM kit....and i dont know if they sell that flush piece on its own or not....otherways, ur way would be with a saw and a lot of duck tape :) good luck!

·
Registered
715 Posts
what deck do you have? is the deck outputs attached to the deck itself or on a cord? understand? are you sure it is the rca's and not the harness? try stuffing as much of the harness back as possible or sticking it on top of the deck itself as you push the deck in. or, take the dash kit off and then just place the deck in the openning and try to visually see what could possibly be hitting. keep us posted...

·
Registered
655 Posts
hey, the RCA's are not really the prob here, its the air system (that black piece of plastic at the bottom part of back wall of the cavity) of 1st gen's that's causin the problems....the back of the radio hits it, and thats why it doesnt go in. which is why u either have to find an adaptor to fit the radio our a lil or cut the air vent thats behind there and tape it over with duck tape.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i'm sure its the RCA cables, and your right russ1an. its hitting the air vent back there. but ill keep trying on making it fit. I have given up for now on it. i got it to sit almost flush, but ill keep trying.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the same problem as you... all my RCA's and sub outputs are causing it to hit the black air vent thing. has anyone ever made anything custom to fix this problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem installing my Panasonic deck in my brothers 97 Corde. With the mounting kit it didn't fit, it needed to sit that fraction of an inch further and be flush with the front of the mounting kit. To make this work, i took the poor mans approach and used what i had lying around. I had a lot of cable ties and epoxy, so i started cutting up cable ties and layering them in the inside part of the mounting kit. After about 6 or 7 cut up cable ties glued in there (not to mention my hands stuck together) the deck fits like a glove. It may not be the prettiest thing to look at but the deck covers it up and now it sits proper. I'll take some pics of it if anybody wants to see the cheap approach taken that works.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey in da trep, i'd like to see a pic

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here you go. Sorry if the pic quality is not too good but the camera was acting up. Also, it would look better with the trim ring for the deck but i kinda snapped it in half when i was taking it out. Either way, here are the pics of the ghetto install.

Hope these give you some idea. I used 7 cut up cable ties on each side. It ain't pretty but with the trim ring on you can't notice and you don't need to warm the plastic vent and bend it. Problem solved. Cost: approx. 12 cents.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have heard of situations where people have melted the vent... Is that a good idea?

·
Registered
655 Posts
here ya go guys lol since a lot of people ask about this stuff, and there happened to be 1G trep comin in to install a deck, here are some pix that i took with my phone....maybe it'll help to understand....if not, oh well...

ok heres a buncha stuff

and here's the all talked about spacer

spacer on the can

spacer on the can with the kit

radio will go in flush

heres how a radio would look like...

since there are a lot of ppl having problems with no sound...
DONT FORGET TO HOOK UP THE BLUE WIRES!\

tuck the wires in...and u're done with the hard part!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Russian you STUD!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry to bring this back from he dead, but the install kit i bought didnt come with the spacer or the metal cage things...? where should i get one from that will have those things?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having this same issue. My Panasonic CD player is 6.5 in from the face plate to the back of the HU. The cavity in the dash only provides 6 in from the front of the mounting bracket to the air vent. Ive used several zip ties so I can bring the can to the front of the MB but I still dont have enough room for the HU to latch into the can. Now that I have a sub and rca's coming off the HU it sticks out even further. Ive been debating cutting or melting this vent but Im a little too scared to be the first. So I would like to know if anyone has done that or if there is a spacer ring at least 1 inch long so the can can sit out from its MB (I already have the can flush with the MB and I still need .5" more!). Oh and I have also made shure none of the wiring is bunchin up behind the HU.

Some advise would be apreaciated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts