DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a K&N cone filter on my 96 Intrepid 3.3.It would hesitate and pop when I would excellerate.So I saw there was a air divertor in the air box thing where the crankcase vents too,so I cut that out and it feels stronger but still does it on hills.Any ideas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I ran up the street w/ no filter, just the open pipe and I did not get any popping. I hit the throttle hard too. I'd guess there is another issue.

Have you tried running Seafoam through the system?

I also shot carb cleaner into the plenum with the engine running. Helps dissolve that nasty carbon buildup.

-GB49

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is kinda weird since all I put on was a cone filter.Never did it with the stock box.Was going to check the stock filter but the nuts ob the box just spun so figured may as well put a cone filter on.Think I should take the factory piece that the v/c vent too off?Maybe a stight piece of pipe may help?I dunno...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if it matters now but when you said the nuts just spun many times theres a bolt or a nut on the other side that you may have to hold in order to loosen them

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes I know but the plastic was broken on the under side causing the nut to spin.So I figured why spend all day trying to take something apart I wasn't going to use.I think I should try to get a 93 Honda style Ractive Intake kit.Considering I sell the line I can get it cheap.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Check out my setup, it's worked just fine for me for over two years Spectre intake tube and filter with a small breather on the vent. Sounds to me like a good tune up could be in order also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is that kit from ?Civic ?Also what size is that vent breather 5/8,1/2 ?And ya you may be right about a tune up.Strange it just started with the cone filter was ok with that factory box.

·
Registered
532 Posts
One of the nuts on my stock box rounded out the plastic too. I managed to get it out and use a nut and bolt. The other 2 factory nuts are still recessed in the plastic.

I would put the factory box back in and see what happens. Obviously you cant put he restrictor back in but you know it was popping w/ and w/out the restrictor so inserting just the factory box will tell you if the issue is the K&N or something else.

-GB49

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
scleave said:
What is that kit from ?Civic ?Also what size is that vent breather 5/8,1/2 ?And ya you may be right about a tune up.Strange it just started with the cone filter was ok with that factory box.
Yup, its for the civic. got it from autozone. I dont know what size the filter is, just pop the tube off there and measure it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will.Was just at work and I sell those types of products and forgot to measure before I left for work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A few things happened when I put a cone filter on my 94 3.3. While idling it was hissing like a snake. So I disconnected the battery overnight thinking when hooked up again the computer might reset to accomadate from the change. I noticed a bit of a difference but that could just be my imagination and damamged ear drums from too much rock n' roll.
I then cleaned the throttle body. I again disconnected the battery then sprayed the inside and outside (loosen up the return spring). You should have see the black crap come out of it. I had the car faciing downhill so the crap would flow out onto paper towel. Then I sprayed the cleaner into the tb while the car was running: alot of black smoke out the tail pipe. Did this twice. No more hissing.

The next thing I need to do is wrap my cai tube with some insulation like Design Engineerings Cool-Tape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts