DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently purchased a 94 Intrepid ES about 2 weeks ago and already this forum has been an indispensable resource as a new Trep owner. Most of the times I come here before consulting "The Great Haynes Manual." ANd already, I must thank this community, makes me proud to be a Trep owner.

Anyways, the problem. I want to put new speakers in there. I have an Infinity system, but right now, ALL the wires are cut and disconnected from the Infinity amp. Not my doing, the previous, previous owner had a system installed in an obvious attempt to piss me off. I tried connecting everything according to the diagram I found here, didn't work. It dosen't help that I just installed an aftermarket CD player and it's probably that damn "Pwr Attennea" wire of doom I've read so much about.

The diagram did help though, as I have the aftermarket 6x9 connected directly to the output connectors. I'm just bypassing the amp. My question is, can I do this with the door speakers as well? I mean, I know I can run a bunc of new wires from the base unit, but I'm lazy. Can I connect the wires in such a way that I can get input to my front speaker, bypassing the amp of course, with the existing wires I have?

I tried searching for the answer, but all the topics I found dodge the answer by like 2 or 3 sentences.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm not familiar with the connections on the 1st gen infinity system, but assuming all the wires are there it should be s simple as matching the inputs on the amp with their respective output and connecting them directly. For example, for each front speaker there will + & - going into the amp. These wires are connected to the outputs on your radio. There will be a + & - on the output for that channel that go to the speakers. If you connect the inputs to the outputs, you will have a direct connection between the radio and speakers using your existing wiring. Good Luck & welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I thought of that but havent tried it. One thing with the first gen, not sure if it's true with the second gens, is that the output to speaker wires also have a "high" and "low" - and +. Should I connect both of those to the - and + from the head unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm not positive but i'm thinking the high output is for either door sail or dash speakers, whichever you have. and the low is for the regular speakers in the door. My amp also had two sets of front outputs because there is a crossover that sends highs to the door sails and the low frequencies to the regular speakers in the door. Most of us 2nd gen owners who have bypassed ours only connect the lows because with aftermarket speakers you don't really need the others, plus they're a unique size and can't be replaced with aftermarket so the stock ones will just get blown by an aftermarket headunit if it is connected to them. I would try just the lows to see and by the way, if you're bypassing the amp the antenna wire won't make a bit of difference. I'll take a look at the 1st gen diagram and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I just looked at the diagram and it looks like you definitely want to connect to the lows. Are you trying to connect to aftermarket speakers or the stock speakers? If you're trying to connect an aftermarket headunit to stock speakers by bypassing the amp you might have a problem with the power & impedance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have stock speakers right now, but I will be connecting them to aftermarket ones, just wanted to solve the problem ahead of time.

Thanks for all your help, btw!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I give you a quick update.

I wired it like you said and it works perfectly, even the dash speakers! Now I actually enjoy driving my car places!

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts