·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how to install new pads?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Really it is very simple there are 2 bolts on the inside of the callaper to remove then just pull upwards and the pads should just about fall out (similar to GM)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Advise: Do not put anything but OEM pads on it. I have had this problem and it causes excessive squeeling and or rotor warping. I had them done somewhere else and it squeeled crazy on the pads so I kept replacing them. Im on my 4th and the Performance friction doesnt squeel but it get so hot it warps my rotors. DOdge said there is NOT ONE aftermarket pad that will really work on their rotors because of non compatible materials in the pad. He said they did this to keep people buying Dodge pads. I believe him after trying 5 brands of aftermarket. I am ready to put dodge pads back on right now although this set is fine,--rotors are really bad and I cant afford to try another . I reallly cant afford to even have dodge do it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Use the Haynes manual

My recommendation is to buy the Haynes manual and follow the instructions word for word. It's very easy. I use brakes made by GM for the Dodge Intrepid and they work fine. No sounds or scoring. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
huntersdl said:
Advise: Do not put anything but OEM pads on it. I have had this problem and it causes excessive squeeling and or rotor warping. I had them done somewhere else and it squeeled crazy on the pads so I kept replacing them. Im on my 4th and the Performance friction doesnt squeel but it get so hot it warps my rotors. DOdge said there is NOT ONE aftermarket pad that will really work on their rotors because of non compatible materials in the pad. He said they did this to keep people buying Dodge pads. I believe him after trying 5 brands of aftermarket. I am ready to put dodge pads back on right now although this set is fine,--rotors are really bad and I cant afford to try another . I reallly cant afford to even have dodge do it.
Sorry, but Dodge saying only Dodge pads will work because of incompatable materials is bull ****. Besides, there is no such thing as "Dodge pads". Dodge doesn't make pads. In fact I don't believe any car manufacturer makes pads. Friction materials companies (such as Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, Federal Mogul, ect) win a contract to supply car makers with the pad applications. In fact, we (Bendix) just won the contract for OE supplier of the new Ford F-150 front pads (we already won the rear pads).

You said you had the pads replaced somewhere else. Did you have them always replaced at this place? It's easy to blame the pads for noises and such. But the truth is there is so much more involved than that. I bet you didn't know that not tightening your lug bolts correctly could cause brake noise and premature brake and rotor wear. Not properly braking in your brakes (no pun intended) could cause problems. Not having the pads installed correctly can cause problems. Yes, shitty pads and rotors can cause problems also. When you replaced your pads, did you have even wear? There could be a problem with your calipers or master cylinder. Improperly inflated tires might even cause issues. Hell, I know a lot when it comes to brakes and I still learn new things each day.

·
Registered
560 Posts
non-mopar pads are cool...just dont get em cheap. and stay away from raybestos!

P.S. why dont you email warlord n' see if he cant give you a set of bendex pads under the table :tongue:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Valhalla 21340 said:

P.S. why dont you email warlord n' see if he cant give you a set of bendex pads under the table :tongue:
Actually, I might have an easier time getting a set of OE pads under the table than the Bendix pads. :) We have some "extra" sets of OE pads sitting around the office, so I took one. :) Saved some coinage when I replaced my front pads and rotors about a week ago. :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for setting the record straight, Warlord. I was waiting for the resident brake expert to do that.

I just want to add that poor driving technique can also cause symptoms such as warpage and glazing (squealing).

:alien:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
MoparHead said:
Thanks for setting the record straight, Warlord. I was waiting for the resident brake expert to do that.

I just want to add that poor driving technique can also cause symptoms such as warpage and glazing (squealing).

:alien:
No problem! :)

Good call MoparHead. I forgot about that one. :D

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm not sure what was on our 94 LHS when we bought it used but I could only get the antilocks to work in slippery conditions.
On dry pavement, full pedal pressure would not kick in the ABS.
After buying new rotors from the dealer and new Raybestos Quiet Stops I now have enough brake power to get the ABS to kick in on any pavement. Also noticed under SEVERVE brake abuse I get zero warpage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I floored the brake and gave it gas to spin the tires coming off the line to accel faster, and it worked, but even since, i've had the squeeks on and off, does anyone know what this can be attributed to?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts