DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry to everyone at the int'l meet....i had some money issues come up at the last minute and it wasnt possible to come up (i didnt even have money to put into my gas tank to get there, and i have been working everyday since then)

anyways....i was going to have rob (Avenger) help me out with installing my chrome door handles, but since i didnt come up....i was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction for removing my door panels and installing the door handles.

BTW: i do have tinted windows, so hopefully the panel removal isnt real close to the window

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I knew there was someone I was supposed to help.

NO HELP FOR YOU! :D

To remove the door panel, you need a phillips and a standard screwdriver.

Remove all screws at the bottom of the door (3 or 4), remove the speaker grille with your hands, remove the 3 screws in there (not the ones holding the speaker in place). Pop the little cover in the inner door handle with your slot screwdriver (one side pops out) and remove that screw. There are 3 more I think at the front of the door towards the front of the car.

After all screws are removed, you should be able to grab the bottom of the door panel and pull until you hear a SNAP from the push pin coming out........there are 2 or 3 of them......don't pull the panel away from the door.......you need to raise the panel up and slide the lock switch out and then reach in behind and disconnect the door handle wire connecting the inner door handle to the opening mechanism.

I'm hoping you can figure out the rest, I'm getting tired of typing.......I woulda helped you.......I ended up helping Mr. Barbed Wire Fence changing over from a manual seat to a power seat ;)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That is the easy part though. The tough part is getting the pins out of the actual door handles. Just so you know, this part stumped me, you must force the pin through a hole, but the hole is sealed shut with plastic. You will need to force the pin through that plastic, so be prepared to use some force.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Break the plastic holding the end of the pin (easiest way).......I did that to mine a couple years ago and the pins haven't fallen out because of it, they're held in pretty good without the little tab.

I got my headlight covers at Walmart, special order AVS brand, $50 CDN ($40 US).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I guess only the Canadian Walmarts carry headlight covers........also got my ventvisors there.

The picture on that website under the "Dodge Intrepid" heading is WRONG........wait I'm linked to "Dodge Van Fullsize".......the Intrepid ones have the wrong picture, those are the ones though. A lot of people prefer the Style Eyes headlight covers that have holes where light can shine through, but they are made of much more brittle plastic that is prone to cracking in some cases. GTS covers are made of the thicker brittle plastic as well.

I don't personally like the style eyes covers, I have driven around for over a year without taking my AVS covers off my car, I used fog lights at night. Now (this week forward) I'm taking my covers off at night because of my HID's.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I used needle nose pliers......it's a ***** prying those pins out.......good to have a flathead screwdriver to pry as well. Like they said above, once you do the first one, the rest are MUCH easier........I seem to remember the front doors being harder due to clearance issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts