DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My poor Intrepid has been suffering from rust, see the thread http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58810 Anyway, I'd like to cover the rockers with some nice ground effects seen on this 1997 Intrepid:

As for the doors, I have the rust pretty much undercontrol.

Anyway, has anyone installed those ground effects or side skirts before?

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i don't see any ground effects, the efects that did come on the trep coverd the bottom of the doors as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a better picture of it:

It runs along the bottom of the doors, covering the rockers.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
still can't really tell, it looks like its really half of what the ground effects are. the full factory ones cover the rockers and the bottom of the door, unlike that one which lookw like it mainly does teh rocker

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gr8crash said:
still can't really tell, it looks like its really half of what the ground effects are. the full factory ones cover the rockers and the bottom of the door, unlike that one which lookw like it mainly does teh rocker
All I want it to do is cover the rockers, because thats where the majority of the rust repair was done. I'll paint it the same color grey as the bottom half (I like two tone cars :biggrin: ) I was going to get the full ground effects from a 1993 intrepid ES, but the doors require some type of riviting to hold the panel in place, so I'd just leave the doors as is (got that rust under control) and cover the rockers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, off of a 3.5 or whatnot... the "sport" models i think in '95+ have the sideskirts. Should be a fairly easy thing to stick on...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've got the exact same problem. I wanted to get the entire ES ground effect parts, including the parts for the doors, but you say it's riveted? I also planned on getting the foglight front bumper so that everything flows. I think that Chrysler realized they had a problem with the rocker panels rusting through and added the lower plastic panels to cover it up. I do have rust on the lower portions of my doors, and even though I will get that cleaned up, I'd still like to have something covering it up if and when it comes back. I'd like to hear more about the process you go through, cause I'm at about the same point.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
there more like plastic rivets, you can just pop them all off an ES car all you'd have to drill is line up the molds, drill teh holes and pop them on, not to bad i just popped mine all off lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just at the local U-pull a part on Sunday. They had several 1995-1997 Intrepid Sport models, however, most were stripped down. I'll have to go back and check for the side skirts. Dosn't matter what color because I'm going to be painting them anyways :smile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, are the front bumpers an easy swap? I belive there was a same colored green Sport model with the fog lights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. I'll be back there wendsday. However my Intrepids waterpump is leaking like hi heavens :hmm: , so I got to get that done first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You say you have rocker pannel rust through.

Now you say your water pump is leaking. When you do the water pump, you should also replace the serpentine belt because you'll have to take it off anyway. When working in this area, it is usually recommended that you also replace the timing belt.

All of this stuff costs money. Maybe as much as your car is worth. If you love your Intrepid, great. Alternatively, you might think about sinking your repair money into a newer Intrepid with less problems.

I went through the same calculation a couple of months ago. I decided to keep my Eagle Vision. You may make the same calculation and come to a different result. It is, however, a calculation you should consider before going much further.

Edmonds17

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Those "sideskirts" are supposed to be originally on your car. I just got a 95 Intrepid ES and I'm switching the sideskirts from it to my car because the regular Intrepid doesn't have the door pieces, and I like those. (See Gr8crash's car).

-BaTmAn

·
Registered
374 Posts
Alright, I bought some ES trim pieces (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7974478225)
When I get the parts, I'll see what I come up with. I'm repainting the entire car, so the color will match. Now the auction is missing like a door panel piece, but I mainly bought it for the rocker panels. We'll see if it looks ok without the door panels. I think with a color match, you won't notice. If not, I'll just have to hunt for some of the missing parts. Just need a foglight bumper and then onto bodywork and paint (already got my paint)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Edmonds17 said:
You say you have rocker pannel rust through.

Now you say your water pump is leaking. When you do the water pump, you should also replace the serpentine belt because you'll have to take it off anyway. When working in this area, it is usually recommended that you also replace the timing belt.

All of this stuff costs money. Maybe as much as your car is worth. If you love your Intrepid, great. Alternatively, you might think about sinking your repair money into a newer Intrepid with less problems.
It's just surface rust. The rockers are soild. Unlike my Acclaim, those rockers are rusted through :eek: , which I'm still repiaring.

The water pump was only 38.00 and the belt was free. The timing chain was replaced when the front crank seal was done. The sideskirts were only 10 bucks and the rivets were free.

The car runs and drives perfectly. The water pump is something that goes out with age, same with the body of the car. like the human body, first the eyes-then the ears :biggrin: .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An update!

I finally got some side skirts off of a 1996 Intrepid. Painted them up and put them on tonight. They were held on with these funky plastic rivets that cost $2.50 each at the dealer! So I used alumninum pop rivets and washers to improvise. It worked well, but trying to shove the skirt on to the rivets can break off those little tab things. Got them all on, still need to screw them in to the front fenders. Looks decent, and better than rust. I'll get some pictures tomorow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks great! I've got my ES trim pieces as well, and was going to try and mount them but have to settle a dispute with the seller first (the parts I got are junk! Got a lot of repairing to do to them, sigh.)

When I got my parts, I noticed that the lower rocker panel comes in two pieces, the front half and the rear half, is yours like that? And where did your rivets go? Along the length of the rocker panel or underneath?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts