DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing New Ignition Switch

I went to the bone yard today to get the upper and lower plastic covers for the steering wheel column. They were broken by a thief that tried to steal the 94 Intrepid by breaking the ignition lock.
I also pulled-out the ignition lock but unfortunately for me I could not find an ignition lock with a key.

Question

1) Is it possible to re-key the ignition lock to my original key, If not is there a way to make it work by breaking tabs or pins in the Lock I don’t care if the lock will not lock just as it looks good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This car has a seperate ignition lock mechanism and electrical ignition switch mechanism that the wire harness is connected to. If the lock isn't broke and it turns on and off fine, then it is not broken. If you have intermittent electric problems in the ignition (lights flickering, intermittent dash lites, A/C control, air bag light on, etc), then buy a new ignition electrical switch. The key switch assemby operates the ignition electrical switch with a shaft that goes under the steering column to the other side (left) of the steering column. The elec switch is mounted to the side of the column with 4 tiny torx head bolts. It is the device that has the large wire hardness attached to it. It is a ***** to remove the torx screw bolts since they are so small. I bought the correct size torx socket but I couldn't get it on one of the bolts so I used a pair of pliers to force it off and replaced the torx bolts with small hex head metric bolts of the same thread size. I removed mine and took it apart for an autopsy. The dozen or so contacts were burned from arching. I would not replace with a used one. It cost $50 for a new one from the dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big3 said:
This car has a seperate ignition lock mechanism and electrical ignition switch mechanism that the wire harness is connected to. If the lock isn't broke and it turns on and off fine, then it is not broken. If you have intermittent electric problems in the ignition (lights flickering, intermittent dash lites, A/C control, air bag light on, etc), then buy a new ignition electrical switch. The key switch assemby operates the ignition electrical switch with a shaft that goes under the steering column to the other side (left) of the steering column. The elec switch is mounted to the side of the column with 4 tiny torx head bolts. It is the device that has the large wire hardness attached to it. It is a ***** to remove the torx screw bolts since they are so small. I bought the correct size torx socket but I couldn't get it on one of the bolts so I used a pair of pliers to force it off and replaced the torx bolts with small hex head metric bolts of the same thread size. I removed mine and took it apart for an autopsy. The dozen or so contacts were burned from arching. I would not replace with a used one. It cost $50 for a new one from the dealer.
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN BREAK THE TAPS IN THE NEW IGNITION CYLINDER LOCK SO I CAN STICK MY OLD KEY TO MAKE IT WORK. EVERY THING ELSE WORKS JUST FINE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts