DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Intrepid 2003 instrument cluster appears to work fine and passes self test. During self test I can see all odometer LCD display segments light, but mileage does not display. Trip meter reset works to initiate self test, but has no effect post self test to display trip meter.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced instrument cluster and was rewarded with mileage once the ignition was moved to the on position. Reassembled everything, odometer is dark again.

What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Got me stumped.

So odo displays with cluster installed but everything "not assembled", but loses the odo display with everything "assembled". Difference between everything "not assembled" and "assembled" is cluster screws, lens, and bezel and column covers installed and not installed? Could this be a case of the cluster connectors not being fully mated when the cluster is pushed "home", i.e., a connector terminal or two losing contact when screws, lens, and bezel are installed? Is one of the connectors not straight and properly locked in place in the dash panel, or you need to make one firmer, final push of the cluster into the dash panel to completely mate the cluster connectors? May also be a terminal in one of the vehicle connectors not secure on its connector housing cavity, so it's making marginal contact with its mating terminal, lising contact under different stress scenarios. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got me stumped.

So odo displays with cluster installed but everything "not assembled", but loses the odo display with everything "assembled". Difference between everything "not assembled" and "assembled" is cluster screws, lens, and bezel and column covers installed and not installed? Could this be a case of the cluster connectors not being fully mated when the cluster is pushed "home", i.e., a connector terminal or two losing contact when screws, lens, and bezel are installed? Is one of the connectors not straight and properly locked in place in the dash panel, or you need to make one firmer, final push of the cluster into the dash panel to completely mate the cluster connectors? May also be a terminal in one of the vehicle connectors not secure on its connector housing cavity, so it's making marginal contact with its mating terminal, lising contact under different stress scenarios. That's all I can think of.
Interesting thought. Any idea where I might find a pinout of the instrument cluster? It's not in the dealer manuals that I have. If I could figure out which pin the odometer reading is fed on that would give me place too look. Any chance this could be the wiring in the steering column? I seem to recall that with the tilt steering being "up" caused electrical issues on the instrument cluster that didn't occur when it was "down". Gives me something to look at/test. :)

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Do you have access to the 2003 LH FSM? A sketch of the connectors and their pinouts are listed in section 8W-80. Look up 'Instrument Cluster C1' and 'Instrument Cluster C2' in the table of contents of section 8W-80.

But to save you the trouble, below is the info. The data into and out of the cluster comes travels thru the pin labeled 'PCI BUS'.

That includes the gage needle positions and the odometer reading. (BTW, the vehicle mileage is stored in the BCM.) So what I suggested about a cluster connector bad connection is probably not accurate, because if the PCI bus connection to the cluster is interrupted or otherwise malfunctioning, you would see all kinds of issues going on in the cluster, not just the odometer reading.

I don't know what to suggest unless the BCM has a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts