DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a seach on this board but could't find what I was looking for.

I just bought a 2000 Intrepid & i wanted to change the instrument cluster lights from green to blue.

The parts guy at the dealership said that the lights are clear & that the green is built in to the cluster. I want to keep the white face gauges but want to see blue at night. Can anyone help with any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you could take the guages off and see what you could do with them otherwise there is plenty of aftermarket gauges

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes, I can help. I did this same exact thing with my '98 ES.

First off, the dealer is wrong. Again. The film is blue, and the lights are yellow. Blue + Yellow = Green.

All you have to do is change the bulbs in the instrument cluster to blue. The bulbs are 194 bulbs. You'll need about 5-6 of them.

This is the important part. You have to get the bulbs at Autozone, not Advance auto. The 194 bulbs you need are called "Lighting Technologies" 194B(Blue) bulbs. The ones from advance have a film that wears off and you'll have really bright green lights in a few days.

This is the thread I made when I was doing the same thing.

If you follow these directions you'll walk away with a very nicely colored blue color. The only reason I didn't do it on my 2000 is because I installed a 300M cluster instead.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool

Thanks for the reply. Thats great news.

How do I get into the cluster & do you have any pix of the blue lights in your old car?

·
Registered
740 Posts

That is a pic of a similar install. In this case I was installing an auto headlight switch. The panel removal is the same, though. Once you get to this point, the cluster pops right out. You'll need to start by taking the panels off by the shifter, and working your way around to the fuse panel. There's only about 5-6 screws total, most of it is clips.

No, I don't have any pics, since I don't have a digital cam. The blue was slightly dimmer than the green, which is to be expected. The main difference is that the needles don't light up as well.

The neat part about this is, it's so cheap and easy, you can spend less than $10, and if you don't like it, you can reverse it.

Once you learn how to take apart the dash, this mod is only 5 minutes of work.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
A word to the wise, be patient when trying to wriggle the steering column shroud off, it's a PITA most of the time. Also be careful when pulling the gauges out, it's a good way to remove 3 or 4 layers of skin and quickly make "red" gauges.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Really? You must be really impatient. ;)

But, you've taken more apart than I have. I guess I have the luxury of time.

--edit--

Oh, you shouldn't have to take off that big knee panel. I was doing some other stuff while installing that AHLS and I don't think you need that panel off to get to the cluster.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there any danger in losing or breaking any of the clips? should I buy a few just in case?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nope. I've never broken a clip. The hardest clip in the car is the OTIS/EVIC clips, and I've never broken those either.

You're not really going to know how hard it is until you try. Go for it. ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts

Link if pic doesn't work

Mind you that pic is of hyper white for the inner gauges (giving an aqua color) and the painted blue for the outter (giving a nice but extreamly dim blue color), but either way they are just as bright as the green and MUCH BETTER LOOKING.

oh and I used THIS how-to from the first gen section

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats exactly what I wanted. Thanks guys. Now where do I get those bulbs in Canada.? (Toronto)

·
Woober Goobers!
50,632 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,632 Posts
A clear 194 bulb is the correct OEM type for the cluster.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a thread about blue instrument clusters. If you want a blue instrument cluster by swapping in new bulbs, you need to put a blue bulb in.

If you're just trying to replace a burnt out bulb, then the 194 is fine. I suspect RONBO didn't read anything in the thread and is feeding you bad information out of laziness/ignorance/rush to be right.

This thread is also over 10 years old, and I'm having a hard time locating any blue 194s. If I were doing this now, I would probably get blue LEDs instead, like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-IL-194B-5-5-SMD-Light/dp/B00GI77I3G/[/ame]

Or just try something like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP-194B-Blue-Heavy-Replacement/dp/B001JT1JKQ/[/ame]

Since the original brand seems to be long gone a different option like that may be better for you.

Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts