·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I think if your over 18 you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply spook im gonna find out soon and im 20 so we will see im going for my raod test in a week or 2 but i dont want my car just sitting there with no insurance or anything because in the parking lot its in the cops will write me tickets

·
Registered
781 Posts
the insurance must be in the name of the registered owner and it doesn't matter if you have a license or not. technically speaking you don't need a license to own a car. it is possible to have a secondary on an account and his cars would be insured under that policy. so if you are the owner, you can either get your own insurance or become a secondary under another insurance plan. the only thing that changes is that there are 2 names on the account and both people have the power to make changes.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Couldn't it differ state by state... I know Kenundrum is right at a least in the case of MA... my cousin lost his license for 5 yrs and his mother had to drive him to work in his car under his insurance... I remember her saying that she was making him pay and I was surprised to find out the car and insurance could be in his name when he didn't have a license.

·
Registered
781 Posts
the funny thing is that it brings up an interesting question to the insurance agents... how do you get the rates? if the person has no driving record and cannot drive his car... do you rate them on the merits of the car and the credit history only? lol the listed drivers offset the cost a bit but not all the much, or at least not in my case...

·
Registered
21 Posts
ITs done on a combination of factors. No record is slightly better then a bad record. Then what kind of car factors in. Finially there is credit rating. Many car companies now do this. For a few reasons. One they want to make sure they get paid. And two people with good credit ratings tend to have better driving records. And Three people with alot debt might tend to cause something bad to happen. (car stolen to get incase something happens).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts