DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well , as of friday , i wont be driving my intrepid anymore. gonna have to leave it parked for awhile. long story.

i was dating this girl , i had the car under her mother name in CT. was paying only $27.50 a month. lolol yea i kno. crazy cheap well , she had to take me off cause shes trying to apply for emergency medicaid cause she has alot of back problems and they said she has 2 many accets ( 2 many cars and 2 much money in the bank to be elgible for it) so she had to take my car off. soooo now im stuck. i was planing to put it upder my boyz name but his licence just got suspended last week due to hime owing tickets.... i cant afford to put it under my name.... they want about $500 a month and thats not even full coverage...
im stuck and have no idea what to do... no family ... i need my car to get to and from work and my mother is crazy sick and i need a car to be able to rush to the hospital when needed..... ill all out of ideas. :( :help:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I get the feeling that most people in this situation simply drive w/o insurance unfortunately... but I'd check with the state of NY, they may have a program that can help!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
just go without. It may be illegal but what else you gonna do.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Been there man. You gotta do what you gotta do. In Florida, they suspend your license if your ins gets cancelled. The state will send you a letter asking for your new insurance info, and you have a date to comply, before they suspend. Just gotta make sure your address is the same on your license, or the letter will get returned to sender, and you'll never know...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Why the hell is your insurance $500 a month?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I guess that's the price of living in a big city. When I was in Iowa and the Trep was brand new, I paid less than $500 per 6 months for 500/300/500 full coverage insurance.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I pay 150 a month with ICBC . My 20 y/o brother just bough a brand new F150 larait in Alberta and is now paying 4500 a year

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
shoot 550.00 a year is what i pay full coverage in the trep and basic on the truck,,, go figure

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
From one NY'er to another, grease your ass because the auto insurance here in NY will rape you. Back in '95 I had a '92 Mustang GT and the monthly premium for insurance on it was almost $100 MORE than my actual car payment. And that was with a clean driving record.

·
Registered
531 Posts
EspizTrep said:
well , as of friday , i wont be driving my intrepid anymore. gonna have to leave it parked for awhile. long story.

i was dating this girl , i had the car under her mother name in CT. was paying only $27.50 a month. lolol yea i kno. crazy cheap well , she had to take me off cause shes trying to apply for emergency medicaid cause she has alot of back problems and they said she has 2 many accets ( 2 many cars and 2 much money in the bank to be elgible for it) so she had to take my car off. soooo now im stuck. i was planing to put it upder my boyz name but his licence just got suspended last week due to hime owing tickets.... i cant afford to put it under my name.... they want about $500 a month and thats not even full coverage...
( :help:
I can't even imagine paying $500 a month and not even full coverage to boot. Big city driving shouldn't make that much difference because even with full coverage (collision etc.) your car is only worth a grand if that. Either you aren't looking around much for good pricing or you have one heck of a lousy driving record. I don't recommend driving without insurance (as some people have suggested) because you will find your assets taken and earnings heavily garnished forever to pay back if you have an accident w/o insurance. And if you think insurance is expensive now, wait til you try to buy it after having an accident without it. I'd say move close to where you work and take public transportation for a while - you'll feel like a rich man saving that $500 / mo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's not about what the car is worth. It's about the potenital liability in an accident. Since NYC is just about as sue happy and NJ, any accident is pretty likely to escalate into a 6 or 7 figure lawsuit. Insurance companies may be greedy, but the lawyers and eager plaintiffs who see a payoff for every scratch and bruise share the blame.

Sorry Espiz. I don't see an easy solution to your problem. I hope you find your way out of it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Chief Brody said:
It's not about what the car is worth. It's about the potenital liability in an accident. Since NYC is just about as sue happy and NJ, any accident is pretty likely to escalate into a 6 or 7 figure lawsuit. Insurance companies may be greedy, but the lawyers and eager plaintiffs who see a payoff for every scratch and bruise share the blame.

Sorry Espiz. I don't see an easy solution to your problem. I hope you find your way out of it.
The value of the car does come into play also. Cars that are worth more, cost more to put back together when an accident happens. Location is a huge factor as well. Typically, NY ranks very high in the nation for insurance premiums. Driver age and gender also weighs into the equation. Young male drivers are the highest. Oh, yeah and don't forget your driving record also.

·
Registered
376 Posts
froggy81500 said:
The value of the car does come into play also. Cars that are worth more, cost more to put back together when an accident happens. Location is a huge factor as well. Typically, NY ranks very high in the nation for insurance premiums. Driver age and gender also weighs into the equation. Young male drivers are the highest. Oh, yeah and don't forget your driving record also.
Sure it does, when you have full coverage. There is no way anyone is carrying more than liability on a '93 Intrepid with 164K miles. What would he get in a total loss? Probably not even enough to cover the deductible.

When carrying collision and compehensive the value of the vehicle is a factor, but overall it does not carry as much weight as much as you might think. A Z06 Corvette costs more to insure than a S500, even though the Benz is significantly pricier. Reason is more Z06 drivers will wreck than Benz drivers. When they do, they are more likely to cause grievous injury or death. It's all statistics and actuarial tables.

Property damage is the least of the insurance companies worries. Say a guy wrecks an $80K Porsche Cayman into a tree. The insurance company will only be on the hook for the depreciated value of the car, some towing and maybe the cost of the tree to the property owner. Won't even be $80K. The driver breaks both legs, several ribs, punctures a lung and has a serious concussion. The hospital bills alone will probably top $500K, and that's assuming he was alone in the car. Then there's rehab. Imagine if he hits a carload of old ladies on their way to bingo. Aye caramba!

I have a good friend who worked for a Manhattan insurance company for several years. This company only insures NYC taxis. You would crap an eggroll if you knew what is costs to insure a '98 ex-police car Crown Vic with 300K miles on it, no straight panels and puke caked on the floor.

I don't suggest the insurance companies be let off the hook for the rates, but every douche who fakes a back injury after a fender-bender to collect a 50 grand settlement should be kicked down a long flight of stairs into a steaming heap of pig **** laced with broken bottles. Hppefully his lawyer and crooked doctor will follow.

Not that I feel strongly about it or anything... :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea , this official sucks ass. every insurance company in NY basiclly wants like $3000 for 6 months. $3000 - 1/3 for downpayment = $2000 . $2000 / 4 payments = $500 . anyway u slice it , im ****ed.... i cant drive without insurance cuase i have to give the CT plates back to this girl... so now im stuck with nowhere to park the car also... cant park a car without plates on the street.... it would get towed before the night is done. i cant drive my mother to her appointments for her cancer as well as treaments and so on. im so stressed out... not to mention , my f'iance lives in yonkers and i wont be able to go see her... no buses run by her way. it just gets worst and worst.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I pay $200 a month on the Caddy that's just liability with underinsured and uninsured motorist protection. I guess in AZ it's a good idea to have uninsured coverage cuz everyone around here drives without insurance and they all suck at driving.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Im 19, I pay 50 a month for my Firebird with full coverage, and even less for the Intrepid with bare minimum, of course I'm on my dads policy though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I thought my ins. was high, paying 115 a month for full coverage on the car and pretty high liability on my truck. I wish Wisconsin would make it manditory to have insurance, all these rednecks with rusted out piles of crap, they dont care, and when they do hit you, your ins has to foot the bill, and you get like 20-25% your fault just because your on the road, then all they do when the person doesnt pay is suspend there liscense, it's crazy....

Happined to my bro in law, he said he couldnt afford insurance, then BAM, pulled out in front of an Esclade[sp], now he cant drive, and he's trying to build a construction company, I am thinking, no matter how much, never drive uninsured, cause that money is pittence compaired to getting into a wreck and having to pay for everything out of your pocket............

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
try to convince ur work to take ur car on as a company vehicle??? Maybe u can pay it out of your salary, im not sure how it works, but im pretty sure companies get a smaller insurace premium than regular people, or they can deduct it as a business expense at the end of the year. I dont know the exact stuff but i know my dad always tells me its like almost free. He also gets to drive my car whenever he wants LOL.... Mind you your employer has to be nice to help you out, you would be lying half of the time since u do use the car to travel to and from work, just not work after 9-5Pm.

Im on my dads company policy and my car is the only vehicle to 3 drivers, so i have 80$ a month. Otherwise i was the primary driver for a few months and it was about 470$ CAn for full coverage since the car was brand new, im only 19yrs old.

You will have a 450$/month quote untill ure 26, thats just how it is with insurance.

Your best bet is to try the company vehicle route or the no insurance route which is very risky IMO. IN canada its a 25 grand fine + jail time if they catch u without.

Good luck

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Good luck trying your employer. I can almost guarantee that they won't go for it. The last thing they need is to expose themselves to even more liability. Just wait till you get into an accident and the person you hit finds out that it was a "company vehicle." Not only will they go after the insurance company for the full insured amount, they might go after your workplace for extra money.

Maybe it's different in Canada, but if a company unneccesarily insures its employees or their family members, either they are really super generous or really stupid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts