DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 16 and recently got my driver's license. My question is, if my mom has insurance on her car, isn't it O.K. for me to drive it? Like, if I was driving her car and got into an accident, what would happen? She says that I have to be put on the insurance to drive her car legally, but other people are telling me that if the car is insured already, then everything is alright. Will someone please clear up this confusion? What is the truth?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I you live in the same house and drive the car, you must be on the policy. Check your local laws to be sure. If something happens and you are not listed as a driver nothing good can happen.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Also some insurance contracts have a clause for no drivers under 25. Mine does and I get a better discount. If I let someone under 25 drive my car my insurnce is void.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Yeah some insurance companies take it a step further. When my dad was getting insurance on his 300m.... he was forced to put my sister on it... even though she will NEVER drive the car. Since she is a licenced driver and lives in the household, she has to be on the policy... even if its like 1% driver... still has to be on.

Never knew that.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Car insurance is one way in which a lot of people get raped... repeatedly.

Insurance companies can't deny you insurance, but they can charge you whatever the hell they want.

Wish I could do the same thing for services that I provide.. or dictate my own salary.

*sigh*... oh well.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yes, Insurance blows ass, very expensive, especialy for a young male. **** wish I was a woman on paper at the insurance company. ;)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
If your married you get an even bigger discount. My co-worker fudged with his broker on his insurance that he is married when he isnt. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Insurance on a car will follow the car if the driver has permission to drive it. You really should be on the policy just in case something should happen if you are driving it, whether it be your fault or the other drivers fault. Some insurance companies are very strict when it comes to paying out on claims. Putting you on the policy isn't going to be cheap either. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know its not cheap, we are with State Farm and so far they are the lowest......I have to pay $1200 anually. Mom's divorced, so do you get a discount for that? This is really crappy, my monthly insurance payments are like having a car payments for an Intrepid or something. Then, the other thing is that I will be forced to get some kind of crappy 4-cy since having a 6-cyl Intrepid will make the payments even higher. Damn....I guess it's time to start looking at some Neon's, huh?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I think this is soooo unfair.....From what I have seen, FEMALES are the ones who drive crazy as hell, I have seen sooooo many girls get thier parents car and drive like bats out of hell, but yet they get to pay low insurance payments....

By the way, does anyone know of an insurance company that can beat the $1200 annual I have to pay?

·
Registered
83 Posts
the only way that I know of getting low rates is to have your own car registered under a parent and become and insidental driver. Something like that, all I know is I don't pay nearly as much for insurance as other 18 yr olds do. Thank god or else I wouldn't be driving a 'trep

·
Registered
263 Posts
couldn't hurt to tryProgressive.comYOU'VE SEEN THE COMMERCIALS!!top three competitors rates even if theirs is not the lowest.only company I know of that does that.(why didn't I go there yet?)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am with Progressive. My policy is $1200 every 6 months.. full coverage. *sigh* :rolleyes:

I priced out Geico and American Family too... both were higher for me. :(

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
424 Posts
I pay 664 every 6 months, plus my car payment... its a pain but you have to pay it. Wouldn't giving women lower rates be concidered sexism?? BTW, your insurance won't go up much from the 1200 when you get a car, unless you get something that is a coupe, or turbocharged, then you'll get raped....

Spyder

P.S.

I went to progressive and there 6 month quote for me was 2400 dollars, I'll give them a spoon so they can eat my ass... Call the General, supposed to be like 49 bucks a month for insurance (http://www.thegeneral-autoinsurance.com/general_auto_insurance.htm) I'm checking out his prices right now.

GL

·
Registered
336 Posts
I only pay $405 every 6 months on my R/T, just turned 25 in June but in Hawaii they don't give you a 25 year discount! What a crock. I'm married though, I know that helps ALOT! Even being married back when I was 18 we we're paying something like $190/month for a piece of crap used Sentra, don't miss those days!

·
Registered
161 Posts
:D I guess being in the military does have its benefits! :D Damn some of ya'll got some high ass rates :mad: Good luck though! ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I pay $1200 ever six months.. ($200 monthly) for my car.. & that's being on my parents insurance! I'm 20.. 5 more years to go =)

·
Registered
187 Posts
No,

In fact, divorcies are hire than married couples for insurance rates. You will be high rate insurance till around 21, then you drop some, another at 24. Best bet is to buy a $1000 car and run liability on it at $500 deductable for now. Leave the intrepid for mom.

sURFN

·
Registered
263 Posts
ok -in the military, live in MA which has "no-fault" ins., married, 24(25 in AUG) I pay $1040 annually (full coverage required), plus $491 for my wife,I have lots of tickets too but she had an accident without ins. before we met. My question is -we will be getting divorced soon and will my insurance go up(divorcee?)never thought of that-thinking of taking her off my ins. no law requiring me to keep her on-I should just call USAA and ask some questions-THX for listening :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts