DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oy guys, yesterday I decide it was time to do it so I change the intake gasket.It took me almost 8 hours to do it. Ok I took my time as I want to do it right. So I took time to labeled all the electrical connector and vacuum hoses.Plenum was quite easy to removed.When I look at it,I discover 1 of the 2 holes in the back of it (where the EGR tubes are bolted) was completely block by some grim..So I take time to clean that. Then I decided to remove the thermostat housing to get room for the fuel rail, I was taking the opportunity to change the thermostat as I got a code for it. Man! when I took it off , I found it completely crushed ! The termostat was in pieces !! Next fuel rail. Again quite easy to unbolt and swing out of the way. Thanks that I had removed the thermo housing. Next the intake itself. Also quite easy.No jammed bolt anywhere. Removing the old gaskets is time consumming but it had to be done perfectly. After I put back everything in place, change the thermostat, fill the reservoir with new coolant I start the car.It idle supperbly now! No more dance of the RPM everything was good. So I decided to do a road test in town. Temp get to normal position, halfway between hot and cold ( which it never did before:was always on cold even in the summer) and idling was perfect. I then took the highway and after 5 minutes the temp needle jump to the hot position and then the temp light went on. So I stop the car and open the hood: there was coolant on the passenger side of the engine compartment but not on the engine. I tried to find from were it have come out and the only place I can see is the overflow from the reservoir.
What is wrong? I heard about that air in cooling system? Can it be the cause? What can I do?

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
yeah.. when you changed the thermostat, you introduced air into the system.. there should be a bleeder valve near the thermostat housing.. start the car, and open it till fluid starts to trickle, then close it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ****...I open the bleed valve when I refilled the new coolant but the car was not running....Stupid I am..I will start the car this morning and bleed it. Do I have to wait for the temp the reach the normal position?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Problem,
Let me know if this is normal. Here is what happen when I tried to bleed the cooling system:
First I remove the reservoir tank cap. Then I placed a clear 1/4 tube to the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing. I open the bleeder valve and start the car. I have seen air bubles in the coolant thru the tube. I added some coolant the the reservoir to make sure it is not to low. But after few minutes, the level of coolant in the reservoir is going up at a point where it spills out of the reservoir and it is boiling. I immediately stop the car and after a few minutes the level go down in the reservoir at the point where it is almost empty...all that time the bleeder was still open. I wait a few minutes and start the procedure again with the same result..I did that 3 time. What the hell is goig on?? Any idea guys?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You only have to open the bleeder like a half turn, or you wont create enough pressure to get the air out. Then squeeze on upper radiator hose to create some pressure and air should start to come out and eventually coolant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, maybe thats why..I was turning 2 or 3 time the bleeder. I bought a new cap today as I still had the original one. I made a road test about an hour of driving on higway and in town and temp was right in the middle position on the gauge and keep that position all the time with no spill out from the overflow ...Maybe because I open to much the valve I create some air in the system making the coolant to boiled in the reservoir? Is this possible?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Also, just a check but its probably not your issue or anything, but make sure your fans are turning on to cool the radiator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fans run ok.I drive the car again last night and temperature get to the normal position and no coolant reject from the overflow. Well lets hope it stay like that !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have found that it helps if the car is parked uphill when bleeding the air from the coolant system. I don't know if it is necessary, but I seemed to work for me. I did the whole intake manifold repair a few months ago and was also pleased with the results. Hope you get all the air out of the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! Everything work fine now..After 1 week of daily driving, the temp is always at the "normal" position and no more rough idle. The only "problem" remaining is the drain valve on the radiator is now leaking a bit.Mayby that valve was not open for a long time and when I did I may damaged the o-ring? Anyway I gona change it by a new one.
I would like to thanks all of you guys who help me on that "project".
thx
:corn:

·
Registered
206 Posts
You should be able to bleed it fine without starting the car. Just open the bleeder valve, connect the hose, and fill up the reservoir until you start to see a stream coming out of the hose. Squeeze the upper rad hose and keep topping up the coolant until you have a steady stream in the hose without bubbles. Tighten up the bleeder valve and then suction out any excess fluid in the reservoir until its at the proper fill/full mark.

I've tried doing it while the car is running, same result but if you wait too long as you know you'll have one huge mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.