DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read all of the posts regarding intake upper and lower gaskets. I decided to take on the challenge of replacing the gaskets (1993 Concorde, 3.3 L). After removing the plenium I found two of the bolts that hold down the intake manifold had snapped on their own. How do I remove the broken pieces left in the head? What is the easiest way?
I have read some of the posts that say the gaskets (upper and lower) are fairly cheap. My lowest price hear, in the great white north, is about $45.00 which includes taxes. Any suggestions on where to pick them up in the USA. I live across the boarder from Detroit.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
1) Soak the bolts in Kroil or similar overnight.

2) Purchase a bolt extractor. There are generally two types. The first is a tapered reverse threaded bolt. The second is a tapered square device similar to a water valve seat wrench.

I had always used the traditional reverse threaded type but one day in an emergency had to use the square type as the traditional model was not available. I was very surprised at how well it worked.

If you don't own a center punch purchase one of these also.

3) Drill a hole in the center of the bolt. Use your punch to mark the spot so that the drill does not wander.

Use drilling oil! It makes your work so much easier. If you don't have proper drilling oil then almost any oil is better than nothing.

Use split-tip bits. Split tips are used when you don't have a pilot hole. "Regular" bits are only for use when you already have a pilot hole! If you don't have a sharpener then purchase a new bit for this job. The recommended bit size will be listed on your screw extractor.

Use high speed in your drill motor. Arrange things so that your arms are properly braced in order to keep from changing the drill angle and breaking the bit off in the bolt. Then you'll have two problems as now you've got to get the broken bit out.

4) Use the extractor tool. If you've let it soak in Kroil overnight it shouldn't be too hard to bread free.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 3.3 had intake gasket problems? I thought it was the 3.5. I got my felpro gasket kit from Autozone. $20.
I had two broken bolts I used a stud extractor.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
for a low price check out rockauto.com. (search on the web for a 5% discount as well).

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I have to plug this place... northernautoparts.com... I got most of my parts for mine on e-bay, and most of those came from northernautoparts. If you call 866-582-0942 and ask for Art, he'll get you the best deal he can.

rockauto.com is also a great source.

I use Autozone a lot for no shipping fees, but Advanced is good too (Checker, Kragen (I think) Parts America, Advanced Auto Parts).

The lower intake on the 3.3 is a valley pan, that's why it is so expensive. You'll have to watch out on the installation of the valley pan, the instructions I read somewhere indicated putting RTV on the TOP of the valley pan ends, not under it in the corners next to the rubber pad...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will pick up a bolt extractor and use your suggestions to extract the bolt. These two broken bolts probably were the reason my idle has been aroung 1000 rpm on a regular basis. I will need to get some new bolts. Is this a dealer item as well?
Thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a fix

Did a upper and lower gasket replacement. I bought a new pcv valve and new intake bolts ( two had snapped). Started her up and all is well. Thanks for all of your advice and help. I even learned how to use a bolt extractor. Keep up the good work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts