DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't intrepid related but thought it was interesting.
I saw on the news the other night where a former GM employee turned whistleblower revealed that for over a decade GM has been using inferior quality lower intake manifold gaskets on 23 of its vehicles despite the fact that they knew they were prone to very early failure possibly causeing critical engine damage.
He claims they knew early on the gaskets were faulty but they chose to continue to use them partially because of the cost of engineering a suitable replacement gasket but mostly because they felt that by changing to a better gasket they could possibly be seen as admitting fault in the use of the earlier gaskets and they didn't want to get negative publicity or end up having to recall the earlier gaskets. Now in the few days since this has come out there are already several class action law suits being filled against GM for the failing gaskets which are blammed for the destruction of countless engines and a huge amount of expensive repair bills.

On a side note, if they win their suits maybe we 3.5L owners should seek a little compensation of our own, who with a 1st gen 3.5L trep hasn't lost a lower intake manifold gasket or two. lol

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah, the Malibu's with the 3.1 have intake gaskets that go bad. I personally know of 3 that had the same problem.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,688 Posts
It is pretty much all of the v engines to 2001, except 3.8--- 3.1, 3.4, 4.3, 5.7, 5.0, Ive seen them let go so long the coolant starts leaking in the oil and washes bearings, etc-- done plenty of these when we had the shop, almost weekly.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember most of the list but smaller engines must have the problem too as I remember Oldsmobile Aleros up until 2003 were also on the list. Although I guess some aleros did get 3.? V6s

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I heard it had something to do with the Dexcool coolant GM uses. I guess after awhile it starts to break down into a brownish goo.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ford has a problem with their windstar gaskets as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
32Intrepid said:
It is pretty much all of the v engines to 2001, except 3.8--- 3.1, 3.4, 4.3, 5.7, 5.0, Ive seen them let go so long the coolant starts leaking in the oil and washes bearings, etc-- done plenty of these when we had the shop, almost weekly.
I don't think the 305 lived long enough to get the vortec style gaskets, which were the culprit. Too bad they made them so cheap, those gaskets were a nice idea.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It's the car companies right to chose whatever gasket they feel.

If they put the best of everything in every car, none of us could afford it.

There are pros and cons to EVERY decision made in manufacturing a vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts