DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This new board is sweet. I was on the old one, I posted every now and then so you all might not know me.

Anyway, I have a 1994 LHS, I was wondering if I bought a K&N filter with a 3" end, could I just insert that directlty to my intake tube? I've already removed the air silencer, and the opening is just a smidge over 3". I hope it'll work as no one has an intake kit or CAI for our cars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I did is went to the muffler shop and bought a 3" exhaust pipe and it fit right where the rubber piece fits to the TB and mounted the filter on the end of that... the whole thing only cost me like $50 total, and the intake made a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have looked into that too and a 2 1/2" pipe fits right inside the end of the "Y" pipe on the 3.5L motors, right where it comes off both the throttle bodies. You could use a clamp there and have a exhaust shop bend up the pipe for you. All it really needs is a slight bend to keep it away from the manifolds and strut tower. I have some stainless i'll use, unless i find a section of aluminum tube somewhere. Let me know if you try it.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That'll be cool, but I've got an LHS so I am working with a 3.5L. Will the intakes work? If not, it'll still be cool to see what you got for the other LH cars.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take a look on my site to see the intake that I did on my 3.3L works great and cost 5.00 for some pipe and 25.00 for the filter. If I remember the throttle is on the back side of the engine on the 3.5L so if I am right go to AutoZone or ORiely's and see if the have any air intake tubing in stock. By me they sell it in like 10ft packages but can be easily bended and cut, used it on a friends car for some cold air inductioN and this stuff was great and cheap. Go here for my site:http://my96intrepid.homestead.com/home.html

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: obr ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys.. how do you take out the resonator in the air intake pipe (little cone thing) I can't figure any way without cutting it out.

And I also read on an earlier post somethign about taking out the foglights for "ram air intake" I took out my passanger side foglight and couldn't you run a tall but narrow pipe upa long to where the original intake pipe was and maybe fit it into the original intake box or somehow rip it out and fit a K&N Filter inline with a modded pipe to the original?

not sure if that made much sense, I just woke up :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
You pretty much have to pry it out. Chances of breaking the cone on the way out are pretty high, but chances of reusing the cone are slim to none. It is kind of a pain to pry, but should come out without out to much work. When I pulled mine out I got an extra 2 mpg. Not to bad for 30 seconds of work.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a 97 Sport Intrepid, and I was one of the guys thinking of doing this. I was going to completely remove the stock airbox, and use both fog light openings to run air pipes up to each of the throttle bodies, through 2 K&N filters, which should give a nice power increase. Now, I only have to figure out exactly HOW I will do it, but I do plan on doing it soon. When I do, I will let you guys know how it went, and I will try to post some pics.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey guys,
I am currently designing a cold air intake system for the 3.5's involving moving your pcm and evap can to allow the filter to move further down and get some real cold air. I'm still in the development phase and i'm sorta busy but I should have a good working version sometime this month. I might seek some input on appearance options too from you later. I would also make one for you 3.3 guys but I need a test fit subject. Shouldn't be that hard since the 3.3 hookup comes out just a tad further than the 3.5's so might just have to shorten the intake pipe.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: 94IntrepidES ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats pretty cool looking. I might be tempted to design on for 1st gen 3.5s.

On a side note, man those 3.3s look different. :) I've never seen one before, I know its only 0.2L smaller, but it looks tiny in the engine bay compared to the 3.5.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wish I had a picture to Doctor up and show my idea... but couldn't those of us with 3.5L engines take off the tubing (forgot the name) running to the throttle bodies from the air intake pipe, attatch piping to each separately, and angle them down along each side of the engine towards the botom of the compartment (to where you can see the ground beneath the car at about a 45 degree angle I think) I'm thinking of trying this with dual intakes with K&N filters at the end. On the passanger left side there is a little sensor of some kind (I don't know my car THAT well) and I think it can be moved once the air intake box is removed as well.. tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here are pictures of what i've done to my intake

95 Intrepid 1
Yes the air restrictor is removed. And you can see my 8.5mm Jacobs wires.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Mopar4U ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys what's up? i'm new to the club, and i love that this shite exists. ATF, where did you get your intake set up from? I would love to put on my concord. Can you tell a difference in performace or milage?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts