DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An Actual Intake Mod

Hey guys, I have a 97 3.5 and I have recently stumbled upon a modification to the intake. Now this is not the silencer remover mod. Now I'm not sure exactly how much faster this will make you or how much horse it adds but my seat of the pants dyno says it's faster and ALOT louder (we're talking like scare hondas loud). It doesn't actually connect to the throttle bodies, it connects at the second junction (i think) of your current intake, right at the spot where the plastic tubes get smooth. That is one of the reasons that I'm not sure what kind of power it adds. So here's the deal. Again, I'm not sure about power so basically what it does is give you the intake sound and the look under the hood (NO PVC involved). I WILL write out a how-to with pictures if people care. I'm just wondering if people care about a mod like this. The part is out there actually at a local Pep Boys is where I got mine. Mod cost is just under 85.00.

Click here to see a pic You might have to click around for a second...it's under the My Car Directory.

Matt

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm very interested. Need pics though and a how-to for the install would be great!

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
hmm..does this sound like a BS ad to sell some worthless product like the tornado to anyone but me??

let's see, it is the "Hey guys" intro..the "I just stumbled onto this" line..or the fact that he won't share what it is unless we beg and pleade for him to take our $85.00??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Geez! There is no need to get apprehensive. Actually I don't want your money. The part is made by APC and you can buy it at Pep Boys. It's just a mod that I did to my car, that happens to be a little unorthodox. Not Infomercial tornado unorthodox. That thing is just dumb. And I did just stumble onto it from a guy with a 94 ES who lives here in town he told me how to do it. But only after I promised to share it with other Intrepid owners out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Look for it in the How-to section with in the next 2-3 days. Lots of people have looked but not too many people seem to believe me. So I will produce. promise.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If something is hidden in that picture, I can't begin to guess what it is. All I see is the tubing connected to the stock elbow at the TB and a cone filter on the other end. So what is so trick here? Must be something we can't see in that photo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By your post, are you saying that it's a dumb mod? or are you just saying that you like what you are seeing in the picture? I'm just curious...because I put this inquiry out there to see if people would like to have this mod under their hood or if I should just have this and hog the secret all to my own.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
My guess is that you did about the same thing ATFCharger did. Bought an intake that was made for a different car, but modified it a bit to make it fit yours. It's a good idea. Especially for those who don't like to make stuff themselves. Although $85 is a little expensive for the APC Intimidator intake. they sell for about $70 at Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmmmm 85 for hot air intake with flash or 5 for cold air intake that looks oem......I think I know what I do. Nice that you found one that fit, my buddy with a 95 had one like that about a year ago now. Realized it was pretty useless sucking in all that hot air and moved everything like I showed him. Now he realizes its much better, still needs to move his filter down or direct air to it. Honest question, what is the intended PCV blue hose on that *flashy* intake running to in your car? And if your curious about your PCV location its on the back of your intake plenum, pretty easy to see and work on.

Ok I just realized you were talking about no pvc piping under the hood. My mistake, but hey don't we all love pcv valves? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
973 Posts
My comments were meant as simple comments, nothing hidden. You made it sound like there was a big trick secret to be done to the car but your photo shows a type of semi-cold intake. If it is just a fairly inexpensive intake, good - so be it. I thought there was more to the story, that's all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok man, I will give you credit for trying this chrome intake on the Intrepid.

Scooby's looks to be a "shorty" intake , if you will. That look is what I am after.

But what a lot of people that I have talked to could never answer is that "where in the hell will the PCM be located at" ?? Will it have to be tied up somewhere to a bolt??:biggrin:

W/O a PCM, there is no car, right guys!

SO if someone out there knows how and where to place the PCM in a safe way, let me/us know. No that is my concern more than forking out $70-$85 for some flashy tube???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The blue hose would be for the car that this intake is originally intended for in this case a honda civic. It's just there temporarily so that no air gets sucked in by the two holes that are on the tube until I can get some mini filters for the holes. The reason that I like the long tube is that the filter sits right next to the wheel well intake that the stock piece uses for fresh air. All I know is that in between Bosch plugs a 2.5 inch exhaust with a hi flo cat and this intake mod I used to run a 17.6 in the quarter now I run a consistent 16.8 (seems slow but you have to keep in mind that I live in colorado at 6700 ft.) For me, any way of getting more air into the system was worth it. I'm going to run it on a dyno in the next couple weeks to see if it is worth it or just a crock. I didn't know that this had all been done before by ATFCharger it was new to me...so I wanted to find out if it was new to everyone else. That was the whole idea of the post. Until next time. good driving. mopar forever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PCM

My pcm is tastefully zip tied to the spark plug wires about an inch to the right of where it was bolted to the right side of the airbox. A quick fix until I build a heat shield in the general area of where the airbox went then I'll reattach it right about where it started.

·
Registered
530 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts