DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm new to this forum, and am having trouble finding any real details. First of all, I want to take out my air restricor. The problem is, I really have no clue what I'm doing. I'm not stupid, but don't know too much about engines. If anyone could give me some clear-cut details, that would be great.
Also, I'd love to try out the K&N filter thing. I want to go farther too, but that'll have to wait. If anyone could give me some complete details on this, I would be forever in debt to him. Exact measurements and prices would be great!!! I won't be too upset if nobody wants to share their own ideas; I will undertand. I know you all want unique cars. :) :) :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome to the board. If you look hard enough you will find answers on this board to your questions in the first gen. section as well as the archives, but i'll try to answer some now.

The restrictor cone was put in our cars as a noise reducer. Simply remove the ribbed tube that goes from the the air box to your throttle body. Look inside, it will look like a funnel. To remove it simply push on it. I believe they go out better one way than the other. Put your tube back on and your done.

I simply put a K&N cone filter right on the end of that ribbed tube. First I completely took out the air box. I believe I bought the RC-3250 filter and it was around $50. You can also buy just the OEM replacement filter that will fit right into your air box and I think that is around $40. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
bbbbbbbbbbbKeith -
It seems I'm about two weeks ahead of you. I had the same 2 questions (flow restrictor and K&N air filter). Lucky for us, both are really easy. For the air flow restrictor:
When you have the hood open and are facing the car, there is a big black box on the left side (called the air cleaner housing) with a huge hose that runs back toward the car. Inside that huge black hose is the cone. All you have to do is twist the black hose and it'll come right off at both ends. Then you just need to take a hammer or something else long and jam it into the hose until the cone comes out...it's kinda hard to get out, but the concept is easy...just push and pull like hell! Just so you know, it didn't really make a difference performance wise...maybe a little louder when you laid on the gas.

As far as the K&N air filter...I just did a replacement K&N filter yesterday. The air filter is in that black box I was telling you about above. There are three screws on the top of the black box that you have to loosen and then you can take the lid off. All you do is pull the filter you have in there out and put the k&n one in. The k&n runs about 50 bucks at most parts stores. The part number is 33-2066. Just make sure when you goto put the lid back on the black box that you see the 4 tabs on the side opposite the screws...you have to slide the lid thru those tabs before you screw the 3 screws back in. I think there was definitely an increase in performance in first gear and also when you are gong maybe 40 and you stomp on it...she really takes off better now. Hope this helps. Let me know if you can find us beginners anything else that's easy and works.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the easiest way to get the cone out is to find a clean surface, stand the ribbed hose on one end and compress it down. when you compress it the sides expand and the cone drops out.

i figured this out after trying to beat it, pull it, and break it to no avail.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I can hopefully get this all done soon. Now when can I scrounge up 50 bucks and a few minutes of time... :) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey... I have a 93 concord with the 3.5 and am looking for a k&N for her. They want $90 canadian here plus our 15% taxes. Measure that puppy tonight and let me know the dimensions. I will check my filter and let you know. Oh I guess I should ask what kind of shape it is in.
Thanks. If this works out find out how much to mail to ontario canada. THX...
Gomer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts