DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you out there who are thinking about installing a K&N intake please take note. Make sure you mount a support bracket at the end where the filter is. I recently went on a trip about 150 kms and when I got home I noticed the clamp and hose worked loose off the TB intake because of the weight of the filter. I don't know how long it was like this, but my intake was completely vulnerable to crap flying in from the engine bay. I have since mounted a bracket to support the weight of the filter and will e-mail pictures if you like. Just let me know.
nullnull

·
Registered
349 Posts
interesting... i got a k&n but didn't pay attention to any weight difference. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanx for the warning. I'm assuming you do mean the OEM replacement filter and not a custom setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bart, I hope/sure Max was speaking of the complete cone intake w/housing assembly. The plain filter replacement doesn't/wouldn't cause the problems Max was talking about. Just replaces the OEM filter. Anyway hope that helps. Hope I got it right Max!! :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am talking about a complete intake. Not just the K&N filter to replace the stock one. I have a 3" pipe running up to the intake box with a RU-3130 K&N filter on the end, and the weight of the filter will pull off the intake box if not supported on the end. E-mail me for pictures.

Max

·
Registered
112 Posts
Max, could you upload your photos to this site so everybody who wants to see it doesn't have to e-mail you/then you e-mail them, etc.
Thanks.
Robin ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
...I have a 3" pipe running up to the intake box with a RU-3130 K&N filter on the end, and the weight of the filter will pull off the intake box if not supported on the end.
This is odd, as I've had my "unsupported" cone filter on for about a year without problems - it remained tight and in the same position in which I originally placed it. There must be a difference in how the two intakes are made. I'll post a picture of mine below...how does it differ from Max's?

Jay T
00 IR ES

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where can I procure this mod for the air filter. (I am very new to all of this stuff, and am learning, so please, throw me a bone out here...it is all so new and confusing to me!) Also, what else can I do to "trip out" my brand new 2001 R/T? Thanks... :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ah, the infamous question..."What can I do to 'trip' out my 2001 R/T"?

Well, I've been asking this since I took delivery of my 2000 R/T! LoL

Anyway, we just discovered that next month Borla will be coming out with a cat back system for our cars. Nice set-up, but 800Ish dollars. Is it worth it? I haven't decided yet...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I saw that...I dunno either...although what potential increases in performance would Borla's sytem add? And also, again, does anyone know what I need to buy to customize my air intake with a K&N filter?

For those who haven't seen it, here is the link:

Borla Stainless Steel Powerset

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am completely happy with the Flowmaster
exhaust I have installed on my 2000 R/T.
For $300, I got the exhaust and the two
chrome tips installed. I <know> its not
a true dual exhaust, it just replaces the
back two resonators. It is quite bit louder
than stock, so prepare yourself for the complaints of those who ride in the car with you. But the performance gains were worth it
(about 1/2 sec off the 0-60 time). My best 1/4 mile is 15.9 @ 92.1. These times were
measured with a GTECH meter. GOOD LUCK :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts