DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I've been lurking on this board for several months now and just finally decided to register.

Would anyone here be able to provide me some resources on how to interface with the computer bus in a 1994 Chrysler Intrepid? I am in the planning stages of creating an in-car computer system (mp3, DVD, GPS, email. etc.) and would like to be able to view things such as fuel economy and other goodies the car can provide me.

The system is going to be based on either windows 2000 or linux.

As soon as im done I will post pictures/code on here.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Welcome to the boards, while I might not be able to help you with the answer to that question, that is an interestinting idea. I know you can access the OBD but am not sure of where to get the cable to hook up to a laptop. We do have quite a number of bright individuals he that can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

·
Registered
714 Posts
He's not looking to wire into the OBD to get engine information, he's looking to wire into the the OTIS and have it pull up on the flat pannel.

You're looking for information on how to wire into the BCM. I'm not sure of the wiring nor the protocol to do this though.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome to the site. I've been pondering doing something very similar to what your planning. I haven't started planning anything yet, all I ahve done is check out the price of some components, screens, motherboards.

It is an interesting idea to obtain data from car's system. I've read in the online manual for our cars that there is a two wire data bus connecting most of the modules in the car, PCM TCM OTIS. It would be difficult, but, if you could figure out how to read and translate the data being transmited you could theoretically capture all the information sent between each individual module. It would be a great accomplishment for me just to get a working computer in my car this summer but if you can figure out how to get the computer to "hack" the car, then major kudos to you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
475 Posts
yeah the software integration is the *****.

Gotta find somebody that knows a programming language that can parse the data being spewed at the computer.

I'd love to be able to have my compute control the temp contols so I can use that valuable dash space for a touch LCD, that does everything. i.e. radio/navigation/temp/etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts