DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

intermittant starting issue

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mnitetrain 
#1 · (Edited)
My daughter has a 99 Dodge Intrepid. She is away in college about 48 hours away and we can't seem to get her car fixed.

She can drive it about 15 to 20 minutes, (errand type driving) sometimes when she gets done with the errand, her car won't start. It will turn over, but not start. It takes about 15-20 minutes and then if will finally start. Then is spits and spudders and then is fine. Originally this was happening once in a while, now almost daily. We originally had the fuel pump changed as we were told it had a pressure issue. The dealer where she is at now, replaced the fuel pump again after having it for a week and not getting the problem to duplicate for them and wanted to rule out a bad pump.

We had the fuel pump relay replaced today as they thought there was a burning smell so thought that might be the issue.

Engine light is not on.

I have google and googled this issue. Anyone have any suggestions

#2 ·
the check engine light on? sounds like a cam or crank position sensor could be on its way out.

#4 ·
definatly find out what that code is and report back!

#5 ·
so far a dealer can't make it happen and they see no codes. I read somewhere else today that you can check your own codes when something happens by turning it on and off 3 times and the engine light will show a code so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get that answer.

#6 ·
yep thats caled the kay dance. history codes will show up if i recall corectly

#7 ·
Could be leaky injector. If they said fuel pressure was an issue, they should have done a leak-down test to isolate where pressure is being lost.

Keydance will get you prior codes, assuming the battery hasn't been disconnected. If there's a P030X (301, 303, etc), I'd really lean towards an injector problem. Pulling the upper plenum off and looking down the intake runners will likely give you an indication immediately (one will look very different from the others - 'dirty').

#9 ·
I have talked with the Dodge dealer that originally replaced the fuel pump about the leak down test on the fuel rail. they told me the tested the fuel rest pressure, the fuel pump showed below min pressure and then bleeds off, which is why they replaced the fuel pump in the first place.

#11 ·
Ok, check engine light came on today. She has been doing some highway driving for the past couple of days and is finding that she has to push the gas peddle all the way to the floor to keep at the highway speed. She says it is not stalling, but her RPM gauge will drop down to next to nothing and then like kick in and it will vibrate. we have an appointment tomorrow with a mechanic, anyone have any suggestions to pass along.

#13 ·
We finally got it to fail at the mechanics, yea!! it is a week injector circuit smart start relay Being told it is either in the computer or the cam/crank sensor. I am being told if it is in the computer you have to buy a new one as they are programmed to the VIN # on the car. Give me your thoughts.

#16 ·
Hmmm... That's not the only way to get a new computer in the car - you can pull one from another car, but it will need re-programmed with the proper VIN/mileage, I believe. That requires a DRBIII tool.

The most expensive way is to order a new one from the dealer. :D

#17 ·
The sensors were replaced and now the cam sensor codes continually and the mechanic is being able to see all that my daughter has been seeing. He is now replacing the computer. He is telling me it is best in these Dodges to buy from the factory because of the programming has to be done to the VIN $600 for a new computer yuk!!!!!

#21 ·
We have now brought the vehicle back to CO, as it has now had 2 cam/crank sensor installed, new computer, been flashed by the dealer twice and it has happened again back in CO now.

When it happened this time, it started running really rough, died and then wouldn't re-start for about 15 minutes, then started and ran wonderfully, but the check engine light is on again. We will have it checked by a mechanic friend tomorrow, but I will assume that it will show cam sensor failure code.

Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.