DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post, and won't be the last. I bought a 2001 Intrepid a couple weeks ago, did some basic tune ups and all in all it is running well. I have a new 2.7L the previous owner installed after sludging his up.

My problem is this: During very slow speed turning, and often with the brakes applied, I hear a softish "clunk" coming from my front end. I thought at first it may be rusty brakes, as the car was sitting for about a year and a half. But a couple hundred km later and it is still making this sound, even without brakes.

It doesnt happen all the time, but happens frequently when Im turning the wheel and creeping forward before a right hand turn onto a road.

I've heard a suggestion that it might be worn CV joints? Any other suggestions, or a pricing/labour estimate for replacing the CVs?

Thanks team!

·
Registered
308 Posts
could be cv related like you said. try putting the front of the car on jack stands and shaking the front wheels back and forth from both the 9:00 and 3:00 positions followed by 12:00 and 6:00. if there is play in the first it is probably tie rods and the seconds would be a wheel bearing. If everything thing is tight we'll go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We checked for play as indicated, when I first jacked it for its first oil change last week.
Everything was as tight as a tiger.

I guess the previous owner drove this like a nutbag, from what he told me.

Where do I go from here Blue_02?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts