DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a dodge intrepid ES 2000 model. I am facing a weird problem with it. Out of 10 times, car starts fine for 8 times and 2 times, it just shuts down after the 2 seconds (does that 3 times). I also found that whenever the problem happens, the anti-theft indicator on the dashboard keeps on blinking even when I turn the ignition ON. When it doesnt blink, it means the car will start just fine.

After checking on internet, I came to know that this might be related to the Anti-Theft system messed up on the car and that is shutting down the car or the ASD relay going bizzare. I dont know the technicals about all this stuff. The turnaround for this that I read was to keep the ignition on for 10 minutes, turn off and then try to start the car and it has worked for all the 5 times that i have faced the situation till now. Doing this basically resets the Theft system. What I need to understand here is:
1. Is this a temporary solution that will run out after sometime and I wont be able to start the car at all after that? (somebody told me that I can do this only for 30 times)
2. Is there a easy fix for this problem? like changing th ASD fuse etc?
3. What else can be troublemaker here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, as I said I am new to all this stuff. So can you please elaborate on what is SKIM, what is it used for, can it be fixed, how much do I need to spend for that etc etc.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I'm not thinking it's ASD - your anti-theft indicator would not be illuminating.

Does the check-engine light come on (with a *ding*) when this happens? If there's a code stored, that can help greatly.

SKIM module is part of the ignition system, mounted to the underside of the steering column, with an antenna encircling the ignition switch. If it fails, it won't accurately read the chip in your key, and won't transmit the proper 'unlock' code to the computer, hence the shutdown after a few seconds.

I don't know off the top of my head if a SKIM can be swapped out (with a replacement one) without having some programming... perhaps another member can chime in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, there is no 'Check-Engine' light coming up when I turn on the ignition or when the car is running. But if it is not able to read the code from the key, it should happen everytime. But it happens sometimes and sometimes not (as i said 2/10 times it causes trouble)...I am so freaked out by this, that everytime when I put the key in and about to start the car, i carefully notice that the anti-theft light on the dash is not blinking, otherwise i will have to wait 10 minutes to reset the anti-theft. Do you have any idea if that is a temporary fix and will not work after I do it 30 times?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other thing about the Sentry key: I have a Black plastic key and is in good condition. As I read at few places, that Sentry keys are Grey plastic ones. So I am not sure if my car has a Sentry key.

·
Premium Member
17,349 Posts
I know nothing of SKIM from personal expereience, but sure glad I don't have it.

Here's a theory: Your car has SKIM, and someone defeated it so it could be used with a regular key by taping a SKIM key at the SKIM module (on the steering column), and it has fallen off, or whatever else they might have done to fool it is no longer working for some reason. Since it is intermittently working, the defeating mechanism is marginal - for example, the key has fallen away, but is right on the edge of being in/out of range (perhaps it is moving around).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Peva,

Sounds like her ES is set up like my 98 3.2 Concorde.

I have two factory fobs, two factory (black) keys, factory alarm and no skim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what does this all mean for me. Am I in some serious trouble here? What would be the easiest and cheapest way to get it fixed. Is taking the car to a wokshop and getting rid of the whole Anti-Theft system an option here? How complex would that be?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I hate to say this, but I don't think there is an easy fix and because it's not easy, it's could be expensive.

If it were me, I would start by cleaning the battery terminals and making sure they are tight, then continue by cleaning the jump posts and all of the grounds-to-body in the engine compartment.

I would also make sure that my battery has a full charge.

If that does not fix the problem, I would try a shop that specializes in "auto electric" and as a last ditch effort I would take it to the nearest, REPUTABLE, dealership and ask how much they charge for diagnosis and repair.

You didn't say how many miles you have...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, here is what all I have done:
Cleaning the battery terminals and making sure they are tight -- Already got this done from the dealer from whom I bought the car. When I reported the issue to him this was the first thing that he did. He cleaned all the battery terminals and the connections to the starter etc.

Batter Charge - Verified that Battery, Alternator and Starter are in good shape.
This means I am good on the first 2 points that you have mentioned.
I have just 80k miles on this car and it is in very good running condition. I am worried about only this starting problem. It it wasnt there, I would have been on cloud nine with this car.

Any inputs from your end are welcomed.

- RT

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A couple more questions:

Does it have remote start?

Do you have any pictures of the car?

Does it have factory fog lamps in the front bumper?

Does it have Autostick?

Does it have leather seating?

What size is the engine?
(Do you have a picture of the engine compartment?)

Do you have Manual Temp Control or Auto Temp Control (Interior heating and cooling)

Is there a Traction Control button to the right of the steering wheel?

"the anti-theft indicator on the dashboard keeps on blinking even when I turn the ignition ON."
Where is this indicator located?

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
I had a 2000, no skim, im thinking somebody put a aftermarket alarm on, just a thought

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I also think that it is a aftermarket SKIM installed. and the problem is, whoever installed it, didnt do it the right way and is causing problem for me.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
you may want to go to a shop that installs alarms, and see if it can be disabled,, if it is a aftermarket one

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
in all the years that ive been on the fourms ,, seems that everybody who has put a alarm on a LH , has had problems,,

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yes, I also think that it is a aftermarket SKIM installed. and the problem is, whoever installed it, didnt do it the right way and is causing problem for me.
That's why I asked that long list of questions.

If you could take a moment to answer them, it might/could help.

·
Banned
407 Posts
sounds like the skim is dying or an aftermarket unit failing or conflicting.

alarm systems are useless on anything skim equipped in my opinion. not like you can hot wire these cars anymore like the old days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sounds like the skim is dying or an aftermarket unit failing or conflicting.

alarm systems are useless on anything skim equipped in my opinion. not like you can hot wire these cars anymore like the old days.
How difficult is it to get rid of this SKIM from mycar?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts