1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I found this Top 10 List:

Top 10 Cars With the Worst Residual Value

I can't figure out why the Intrepid is even on that list. Aren't all those other cars like cheap 4 cylinder cars? I thought all Intrepid's were V6's? Oh well, it just saddens me to see the Intrepid on there.

WildJJ :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It's interesting to note that the difference between #1 and #10 is only 5%.

Everyone seems to think that Cavaliers are popular, and yet the Intrepid is only something like 2.62% worse.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The Intrepid is a popular fleet and rental car.

After two or so years in service, those cars flood the market which in turn drives prices down. Excellent for the used car buyer, not so good for the person who bought the car new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree on the used prices, I got my 96 as the third owner, all Intrepid specfic probs had been taken car of in the last year. AC, tie rods, tranny flushed and anti foamed ( I did it again for peace of mind)92k, some dings and slighty, worn interior well within normal for a 7 y/o for 2900. granted I got a deal but blue book was only 3900

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lately when I was looking for a used car to buy cheaply, I actually was looking for cars that had the worse residual values. I figured that since I only had about 3 grand to spend, I wanted to get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak.

I know I could have gone with a cheap older small Toyota, etc, but I really didn't want one of those plain jane cars.

I wanted a big luxurous car that was reasonably reliable (I knew I was going to be giving up some reliabltiy at times but I figured since I have been a DIY for quite a long time, I could afford it). The cars that I really wanted such as a nice older lexus, older caddy with the northstar motor (I would NEVER touch a caddy with the 4.1/4.5/4.9 motors), etc, were just way out of my price range. I also do not like the look of any older GM luxury car other than the caddy's. I liked the lincoln contential however it has a horrible resale due to his really really bad history with the airbag suspension and the poor trannys (worse than the LH cars), and the motors which blow head gaskets. I then was trying to figure out which car would be a nice luxury car that looked newer and had a bad resale value (cheap to me).

I found that the Infiniti q45's (early models) had a very bad resale value but I would have to go to with a very high milage model such as 170k miles or so. I then looked some more and the only models that I could find that really appealed to me were the Chrysler LHS sedans. Cheap with moderate mileage and parts are plentiful and they are much better looking than any of the GM and Ford offerings from around that time period.

Thats why I think that the top 10 list that the trep is on is not a really bad list to be on. Yeah it sucks if you bought a 1 or 2 year old car, but if you are looking to buy used, that low residual is great.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
LHSer said:

After two or so years in service, those cars flood the market which in turn drives prices down. Excellent for the used car buyer, not so good for the person who bought the car new.
This might be a factor but it does not tell the whole story. Ford Taurus is just as popular perhaps even more so in rental car fleets but I do not see it on the list. However I do see Mercury Sable which is the same car and is not a fleet car.

I think you also have to factor in Dodge's image and the overall appeal of the cars design. I like the look of the Intrepid but I know a lot of people who hate it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
ok with that % I should be able to go buy a 98 trep for around 7500 bucks ....I would NEVER find that!!!!THere going for about 14-17000 up here!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
LHSer said:

Excellent point, Matt. Those numbers are skewed by the huge numbers of fleet cars dumped at dirt cheap prices. One wonders what re-sale value would be like without the fleet car variable.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
alderran said:
Ford Taurus is just as popular perhaps even more so in rental car fleets but I do not see it on the list.

Doesn't Taurus start out cheaper? As close as the numbers are, I wouldn't be surprised if Taurus was #11.

I think you also have to factor in Dodge's image and the overall appeal of the cars design. I like the look of the Intrepid but I know a lot of people who hate it.

You're right about the Dodge image part, but most people seem to like the looks of my car. I wonder if the "lot of people" who hate it are fans of other cars/brands and therefore biased?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Jus' Trepping said:
ok with that % I should be able to go buy a 98 trep for around 7500 bucks ....I would NEVER find that!!!!THere going for about 14-17000 up here!!!
NO WAY BUDDY
I can pick up a 2002 SE model used everywhere they are for sale for about $13000CDN, an ES model for $14000CDN, both with about 40000km on the dial.

I have a friend who bought a used Sunfire for more money than a newer Intrepid with less miles, I just shake my head all the time at that screwed up decision as he could've had a new Sunfire (with less options) for the same $$$ if he wanted.

I didn't buy my car just to turn around and sell it, and anyone that actually bought an Intrepid to drive for 2 or 3 years and then trade in is a complete moron IMHO.

I was considering getting a used one but R/T's are so rare I didn't think I'd find one. The regular Intrepids or ES' weren't what I was looking for, I wanted a sport sedan.

If you want to factor in "Image" into the equation, I wonder why all models of Ford are not right at the top of that list???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
well its great i paid 11,ooo for my 2000 in january and its in perfect condition just as if it were brand new, however ive already lost about 2-3k in value, last time i checked it was worth 8,???. i love the car but im just worried about spending the same amount of money on a new engine(if i have one of the bad ones)as the cars worth.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
rays00intrepid said:
well its great i paid 11,ooo for my 2000 in january and its in perfect condition just as if it were brand new, however ive already lost about 2-3k in value, last time i checked it was worth 8,???. i love the car but im just worried about spending the same amount of money on a new engine(if i have one of the bad ones)as the cars worth.
Thats why the resale is so bad. Many people feel the same way.

·
980 Posts
alderran said:
This might be a factor but it does not tell the whole story. Ford Taurus is just as popular perhaps even more so in rental car fleets but I do not see it on the list. However I do see Mercury Sable which is the same car and is not a fleet car.

In fact Sables are used by rental companies

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
LHSer said:

LHSer's right on the money, this along with the fact that the Intrepid is heavily rebated when bought new impacts the resale value of the previous years that were'nt rebated.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I couldn't agree more...there weren't any rebates in 2001 pre 9/11 when I bought mine. But how many North American sedans hold their value anyways, not many if any.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What you mean my little trepie that i'll be getting is on a worst list. I'm sorry to hear that but I still want it. I think it's a wonderful car and compared to my dodge aries at least i know it won't break down every three days. (long story).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ashie said:
What you mean my little trepie that i'll be getting is on a worst list. I'm sorry to hear that but I still want it. I think it's a wonderful car and compared to my dodge aries at least i know it won't break down every three days. (long story).
HEY!!!! What's wrong with an Aries? I used to have an '88 LE 5-speed :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts