DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Interpids outside the USA

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ATFCharger 
#1 ·
I'm looking to export a 2nd gen Intrepid to the UK where I live.

Anyone else taken an Intrepid to Europe? Any tips for me?

#3 ·
Hello JPierpoint and welcome to these boards!

I think your best option would be to go to your local Chrylser dealer, sit down with the sales manager and discuss your needs. They might be able to point you to an import agency, or they may be able to do it themselves.
http://www.chrylserjeep.co.uk has a handy dealer locator in case you don't know where your nearest one is.

I hope this helps.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

The only UK Chrysler dealer I spoke to wasn't too keen to help. Too busy taking orders for the PT Cruiser to spend time dealing with an "out of the ordinary" enquiry.

Have a dealer in nearby Manchester, Baur & Millet, who import all makes of American harware and they have said they can service my machine.

I'm also hoping to hear from any existing European Intrepid owners, to swap experiances, set up meets etc.

#5 ·
There are many agencies that do "grey" imports of japanese cars into the UK, you could check with one of them to see what is involved.

Dont forget that you will have to pay import duties, VAT and a lot of other costs on top of the purchase price.

I doubt that the UK Chrysler dealers could help, becasue as far as I know, all the european cars are built in Austria.

#6 ·
Are you sure a Trep is gonna fit on some of those tiny roads in england? :)

We had a member here who had a 1st gen in Italy, I've wondered how he got it over there to begin with.

If you didnt know, the Intrepid is offered under the Chrysler nameplate in Canada, this may be the case for Europe as well.

#9 ·
I dont think the size is going to be a problem. Dont forget that Jaguar, Range Rover, Rolls Royce and Bentley are all British names.

The biggest issue will be having the steering wheel on the wrong side. It may not seem much of a problem to drivers in the US, but in the UK the driving style is different, and passing on single lane roads is commonplace. Having to get most of the car out on the wrong side of the road in order to see can be a bit nerve racking.

#10 ·
If you're in the military stationed overseas you can have your car shipped. There's only two people on this board I can think of that have there Treps overseas. Gunslinger here in Germany and AccordKiller in Italy. I'd have mine here in Germany with me, but couldn't do it because of finance issues. I'm paying for the car, but as far as the bank and everyone else is concerned it's my mom's car. I really wish I had it here too. It'd be fun trying to run on the Autobahn with the Volvos, Bimmers, and Benzes. It would certainly be better than the Opel Kadett I had and the Audio 80 I have now. Can't beat free cars though. :)

#11 ·
Having a left hand drive (or as we Brit's call 'em - Wrong Hand Drive) car here in the UK can be a pain at times.

The most annoying things will be paying tolls, going through drive-thru area's (McDonalds etc).

I do most of my car driving on bigger roads anyway, so the overtaking issue isn't as bad for me. Plus I have a motorcycle for my r&r driving around.

I just love the 'Trep's though. I travel to the USA often, and I normally hire one. Have had one in LA, NYC and New Orleans (navigating it around the French Quarter was fun at times!), and have had several in San Francisco. For some reason, Thrifty seems only to have Gold ones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.