DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for approx. 6 months. The engine will stall at idle, it does not matter if it is in gear or park, and it does not stall all the time. The most common time for it to stall is when it is first started after sitting for several hours, and than it will usually stall in the first 1-2 min. It does not stall every time the engine comes to idle. Sometimes it will go for days, and sometimes it will stall 2 or 3 times in a row. The car immediately starts up and the idle is fine. When it stalls it is like someone turned the ignition off, no miss or stumble. If I am driving at 55 and exit the road and come to a stop light the engine must come to idle for about a minute before it will stall, but again it does not stall all the time.

So far I have changed the crank and cam sensor, cleaned the throttle bodies and the IAC. I changed the cam sensor because the computer did set a code. Have disconnected, inspected and re-connected every electrical connection I saw. When the car is running there is no noticeable loss of of power and the idle is smooth.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EGR is good. If I apply vacuum the engine stumbles and then dies. As I said, when it stalls it's clean, just like someone turned the ignition off.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Bad ASD Relay? Might try swapping it out for the AC relay and see what happens...

What are any other conditions at the time... AC on? Lights on? Did you recently change the PCM or BCM? Do you have the factory security system? Do you have an aftermarket security system?

Again, sorry for the rough posts, I'm posting while at work waiting for work to fall in my lap.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you, and hope to help you with any of your automotive needs. Feel free to stick around, and we all like pictures of your ride here - maybe when we get your problem solved, you can post up some victory pics.

Anyway, glad to have you here... I'll help all I can from my desk, and post more after I get home and the kids settled in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already tried swapping the ASD with another relay, same result. Does not matter if other accessories are on or off engine still stalls. The only thing I can add that a forgot in the initial post is the longer the car runs and gets hotter the stalling becomes more frequent, but once it stalls it starts right back up and runs great. That's the part that gets me, when it starts up no miss, no hesitation, nothing it just runs. There is NO SECURITY system at all. This is a bare bones model.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fuel pump?
Mine was doing the same thing, just like someone was turning off the switch.
Replaced the fuel pump, but still happened to me.
Turned out to be the crank sensor.

You might check out buying one of those CarChips http://www.carchip.com/. I picked one up many years ago and you can just leave it in the car and check it out when you get home.
You can set parameters for things such as water temp, o2 sensors, etc.
Funny thing is when my car was dying, it was just like someone turned off the switch, cause the CarChip stopped logging immediately, even when going 40 mph.
I eventually did get a code from the crank sensor on the CarChip and replaced and runs great now.

KP

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been going on for approx. 6 months. The engine will stall at idle, it does not matter if it is in gear or park, and it does not stall all the time. The most common time for it to stall is when it is first started after sitting for several hours, and than it will usually stall in the first 1-2 min. It does not stall every time the engine comes to idle. Sometimes it will go for days, and sometimes it will stall 2 or 3 times in a row. The car immediately starts up and the idle is fine. When it stalls it is like someone turned the ignition off, no miss or stumble. If I am driving at 55 and exit the road and come to a stop light the engine must come to idle for about a minute before it will stall, but again it does not stall all the time.

So far I have changed the crank and cam sensor, cleaned the throttle bodies and the IAC. I changed the cam sensor because the computer did set a code. Have disconnected, inspected and re-connected every electrical connection I saw. When the car is running there is no noticeable loss of of power and the idle is smooth.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ik it's been a long time but did you ever find out the issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts