DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I'm not one to brag, so I won't. I got into it with a Charger SE the other night. Here's how it went down.
If any of you are familiar with the Beaver County Mall area then you'll know where I'm talking about. Last night around 11:45 I was driving to the bank to withdraw some money for my grandmother because she spotted me some earlier that day. Now my bank is past a 4 joined shopping plaza's with a mall situated at the very top one. Its located on a hill that about 3 miles long with a 13% grade. There are three lights on this hill. The whole way up the hill I was putting along because I wanted to see if I could maintain the 45 mph speedlimit without coming out of OD (I did, :smokin:) There was one person behind me coming up the hill, an old Deville, the same vintage as Kyle"s (Megatrep) old Eldorado. I checked my mirrors again the the crest of the hill at the third light. Nobody. After the third light, there is a slight downgrade for 1/4 mile until the intersection of Broadhead (which I'm on) and Old Broadhead Road. Halfway to the fourth light, a Charger pops up out of seemingly nowhereright behind me. Now at the start of the up hill the road becomes a multilane "highway" then the right lane merges into a single lane 1500ft past the 4th light. the fourht light had been red for a short time so I slowed down early so I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop. The Charger behind me stuck there for a few seconds, then suddenly jinked into the right lane, while going about 8mph faster than me. When the light turned green, I was doing about 12 mph and he was about 1/4 of a carlength ahead and he gunned it.:fight1: Not to be outdone, I gunned it as well. I surprised myself at how quickly I passed him. I would have loved to see the look on his face when a front wheel drive sedan thats at least 5 years older passed his rear wheel drive new-ish sedan. I passed him and when the lane finally merged, I was about a carlength ahead. It was a blue 2.7 Charger with duals. How do I know it was a 2.7? Do yinz guys really think I can touch a 3.5? lol. Thats my little adventure I just thought that some of us LH guys would get a kick out of the "mighty" LX falling to the LH. I know I did.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a 3.5. I've said it before, they are gutless dogs, I wouldn't bet money on a V6 Charger vs any model Trep.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a 3.5. I've said it before, they are gutless dogs, I wouldn't bet money on a V6 Charger vs any model Trep.
Shawn's right...any LH would have a significant weight advantage over any LX.
There is prolly a 500-600 lb weight advantage that an LH would have over an LX.
That is .5-.6 of a second to you and me

·
nobags noswitches nofatbitches
1,014 Posts
its that much of a difference tom? so if i removed like couple hundred pounds from my car to drag it will give me could tenths?

·
nobags noswitches nofatbitches
1,014 Posts
So you beat a car with presumably a 2.7 that makes less hp, still has a 4-speed and weighs more...
if it had a 3.5 it makes this so much funnier:woot:

·
Registered
715 Posts
nice, there was a time when i wanted a new charger, now i realize (after having ridden in one) that i would rather walk than have a new charger. its truly sad how many people have the base line charger or 300 and think immediately they are better than your 10 year old intrepid!! ID SMOKE 'EM!!! /end rant

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
its that much of a difference tom? so if i removed like couple hundred pounds from my car to drag it will give me could tenths?
rule of thumb is 100lbs = 1/10th

·
Registered
149 Posts
to me theres no point in buying a charger unless it has the 5.7L or the 6.1L, otherwise you just have one of our cars, with more mod options of course. . .

and now that the challenger is out, theres almost no point in getting a charger. . .

·
Registered
715 Posts
to me theres no point in buying a charger unless it has the 5.7L or the 6.1L, otherwise you just have one of our cars, with more mod options of course. . .

and now that the challenger is out, theres almost no point in getting a charger. . .
check that, now that the camaro is out, theres no point in buying a charger. i love every LH all the same but no way would i choose a new dodge car over the new camaro.

·
Registered
760 Posts
check that, now that the camaro is out, theres no point in buying a charger. i love every LH all the same but no way would i choose a new dodge car over the new camaro.
a 572 in a 3rd gen camaro:wink:

but im more a ford person in terms of these kinda cars.
mustang!

·
Registered
760 Posts
the lx and lh platforms are very similare,car the mechanical (engine,trany,driveshaft) from a charger 2.7/3.5 be installed in a trep?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yeah they are that off. The suspensions designs for LX and LH are different, the structure is different. The only thing they have in common is the 2.5 and 3.5 engines which are also modified from the ones in the LH cars.

The original LH (Intrepid, Concorde, Vision) series was designed to be either front or rear drive, but strong sales meant that the company never had to actually make any rear wheel drive versions. Then sales flagged while market research showed executives that people were leaving cars for SUVs in droves, in search of V8s, rear wheel drive, a high riding position, and lots of extra steel between them and "those other people on the road."

The LX was reportedly in full development swing when Chrysler was bought by Daimler-Benz in exchange for...well, it was reportedly in full swing, but the process was stopped to reengineer the LX to make use of Mercedes components and technologies. Chrysler devoted one of its parts plants to making five-speed automatics based on a Mercedes design, and the electronics architecture was switched to take advantage of Mercedes' experienced with stability control. Eventually, the LX would use a Mercedes-style rear suspension, transmission, steering system, and seats, sharing 20% of its parts with Mercedes. It would also be priced well above the original vehicles, and come out much later.
What's a shame is if Mercedes hadn't taken over Chrysler we might have seen third gen LH cars that were front and rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well as an owner of both an Intrepid SE and now a Dodge Magnum SXT, I can tell you that you are wrong. 3.5 LX's gutless? No. The 2.7 LX is slower than the 2.7 LH because of the extra weight. But the 3.5 LX is just as fast as the 3.5 LH until after 100 mph where the better aerodynamics of the LH come into play. Yes the LX 3.5 weighs about 450 lbs more than the LH 3.5, but the LX's 3.5 has a more efficient intake I'm guessing and the LH's front drive transmission robs power. I've been a member of DI Net for years and owned my Intrepid SE for 5 years. The LH transmission power loss has been discussed on these forums in the past. A 2.7 LH wouldn't stand a chance against my Magnum sorry. You can out corner me in a tight turn, but off a stoplight and a straight stretch of road, I'll leave your 2.7 behind. Not a slam on the 2.7, that's just what 50 more hp will do. 0-60 mph in a 2.7 Intrepid is 10 secs vs. my Magnums 7.5 - 8.0 secs. Wow, before you members start calling LX's pieces of sh**, remember that some of us LX owners were DI net members, are still DI net members, and some DI net members own both an LH AND an LX currently.

Food for thought, don't take my word for it:

this is a Magnum with a 4 speed trans. Mine has the Mercedes 5 speed w/auto stick:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/04q2/2005_dodge_magnum-first_drive_review

This is a 242 hp Intrepid R/T (later bumped to 244 hp). The 300M's were no faster despite the extra hp because they weighed slightly more than the Intrepids.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/00q2/dodge_intrepid_r_t-road_test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/00q1/1999_chrysler_300m-long-term_road_test

So don't know which 3.5 LX's you are calling slow. Must've gone up against a grandma on a grocery run. I'm not a speed demon, but I have no qualms about putting the pedal to the metal when the situation requires it.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well as an owner of both an Intrepid SE and now a Dodge Magnum SXT, I can tell you that you are wrong. 3.5 LX's gutless? No. The 2.7 LX is slower than the 2.7 LH because of the extra weight. But the 3.5 LX is just as fast as the 3.5 LH until after 100 mph where the better aerodynamics of the LH come into play. Yes the LX 3.5 weighs about 450 lbs more than the LH 3.5, but the LX's 3.5 has a more efficient intake I'm guessing and the LH's front drive transmission robs power. I've been a member of DI Net for years and owned my Intrepid SE for 5 years. The LH transmission power loss has been discussed on these forums in the past. A 2.7 LH wouldn't stand a chance against my Magnum sorry. You can out corner me in a tight turn, but off a stoplight and a straight stretch of road, I'll leave your 2.7 behind. Not a slam on the 2.7, that's just what 50 more hp will do. 0-60 mph in a 2.7 Intrepid is 10 secs vs. my Magnums 7.5 - 8.0 secs. Wow, before you members start calling LX's pieces of sh**, remember that some of us LX owners were DI net members, are still DI net members, and some DI net members own both an LH AND an LX currently.

Food for thought, don't take my word for it:

this is a Magnum with a 4 speed trans. Mine has the Mercedes 5 speed w/auto stick:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/04q2/2005_dodge_magnum-first_drive_review

This is a 242 hp Intrepid R/T (later bumped to 244 hp). The 300M's were no faster despite the extra hp because they weighed slightly more than the Intrepids.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/00q2/dodge_intrepid_r_t-road_test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/00q1/1999_chrysler_300m-long-term_road_test

So don't know which 3.5 LX's you are calling slow. Must've gone up against a grandma on a grocery run. I'm not a speed demon, but I have no qualms about putting the pedal to the metal when the situation requires it.
... How do I know it was a 2.7? Do yinz guys really think I can touch a 3.5? lol. ..
Never said a 3.5 was faster, or even hinted it. I used sarcasm. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out which one is faster.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wasn't directing my response to you but rather the 300M owner who said the 3.5 LX's are "gutless dogs" people need to get thier facts straight. I'm not one to just go quoting the 0-60 mph or 1/4 mile times that a car magazine states without some personal experience of my own. But I will say this: I've been a subscriber/reader of various car magazines such as Motor trend, Car and driver, and others, and I'll say that among all of them, C & D seems to be the most accurate in thier performance figures vs. my personal experience with cars I've owned. Edmunds is one of the worst. Don't know who tests drives thier cars, but thier drivers are dog slow. Unless it's thier methods. For example, in a C & D article, they stated the 2.7 Intrepid as 0-60 mph in 10 secs. "No way!" I thought. It seems faster and I've certainly taken some other V6 GM's and whatnot. How could a 200 hp V6 sedan run a 10 sec? So I took it to a stretch of road that's flat and all but deserted on an early Sunday morning. Did 3 runs with a stopwatch and the average came out to 10 secs. SOB, they were right! Have I done the same thing with my Magnum? Well not exactly. I did a run in one direction only into a big headwind (the road runs right beside the lake) and didn't mash the gas pedal aggressively. Also didn't use my autostick as I wasn't familiar with it yet. Still I managed an 8.3 0-60 mph in that one run. so a sub 8.0 shouldn't be a problem. Never got around to doing another try, but maybe I will just to satisfy my own curiosity. The Mag has 86k on it now though. So far my experience between LX & LH has been thus: When I had my Intrepid SE, I pulled away from a Charger SE on the highway that was behind me. Better aerodynamics on the Intrepid. I've pulled away from a Magnum SE at a light and an Intrepid SE on the highway. Though not REAL fast from the Intrepid SE at higher speed. The Intrepid SE shines more at 60 mph + than it does from a stoplight. Tell you what though, My Magnum will go like snot from 60 to 90 mph. In about the same time it would've taken my Intrepid to hit 80 mph in the same time. All this stuff aside, I loved my Intrepid. Sure, with the 2,7, it wasn't the quickest off the jump, but I never felt like it lacked power at highway speeds and the trade off was excellent gas mileage for such a big car. My high was 31 mpg hwy. When I bought my Magnum, I planned on keeping my Intrepid as a second car. unfortunately, my auto insurance company at the time, jerked me around so that didn't happen. But the Intrepid gave me 5 good years of service with minimal problems overall. I'tll always be one of, if not my most favorite car I've owned so far.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts