DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who is getting into dirt track racing and that has been getting me thinking about it too. He is running a little mazda 4cyl 5speed. apparently there is a small car circuit where he's going. i havent seen it yet, but i'm curious if anyone has ever tried to/knows someone who has raced an LH bodied car? I'm sure it would keep up well, because, well they were raced in nascar for starters. I go to races every once in a while but all you ever see are old camaros and montes and that kind of stuff. I think a 1st gen intrepid with a 3.5 and autostick would be a good track car but i think it might be too much of a bastard child; FWD, v6, and an auto trans..too small for the big boys; too big for the toy class...those points have been making it seem less plousible, but maybe it has been done and i just dont know about it...any thoughts???

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
i raced dirt track for a few years, most of the time you can not have a fuel injected car, then there is the cage, you would need to tie the subframes toghter for a solid mounting surface. Then there is the spare parts, not too many intrepids racing at the track would mean you have to carry all the parts you would need with you all the time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i remember when i had my old 97 trep with the roof lights (3.5 no autostick)- i had it off road quite a bit on camping trips and such, i had that thing going pretty well on dirt roads. the ground clearance could've been a little bit more, but i wasn't exactly racing anyone...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so know i'm very seriously considering getting into the small car circiut of dirt track racing after watching them friday night. I dont think it'll be an intrepid tho, just because of the price tag on them still. If i could find a nice early 1st gen with alot of miles that still runs and drives...wait i know of one here in town i saw on a back of a wrecker after he got pulled over for something. So for right now i'm just gonna keep my eyes open for something cheap. An intrepid would be perfect tho. In this class you can run any 4 or 6 cylinder as long as its factory...and the best part is: all you need to do to it is strip out all the plastic and interior and glass, secure the battery and build a small roll cage, no moving of the gas tank, nothing! all my buddy spent on his to build was less than $200 including the price of the car. I seen a couple of Tauras's and tempos and Neons, so anything goes. If anybody has any ideas or experience or any advice lemme know! :auto_08:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Dirt track with an automatic...as long as the autostick will hold gears, you wont have too many spinouts. I can see you having a serious problem with a FWD especially a heavy Intrepid, you'll only go as fast as your front tire traction allows. Stripping the interior will help but your weight dist. will be very bad. Tons of suspension play however, much more than any older import, it would handle bumps and dips with ease. A massive front spoiler will help with understeer. If your going to be bumping into cars a lot in its class, an intrepid is good but an old 3.4L V6 Camaro is your best bet: better weight dist, RWD, subframe/unibody construction. You'll go much faster, be easier and cheaper to get parts, it will take much more abuse and be easier to fix than trying to pry a unibody back plus you can race on junkyard parts, GM has the best parts interchangeability. whatever you decide to do, have fun!

·
Registered
851 Posts
dirt track with a front wheel drive car would suck
you need to modulate the throttle in the turns to make it turn
and your not going to be doing that with a front wheel driver vehicle with over 65% of its weight in the front.
an old nissan 240 or something like that on the cheap would be way better
and easier and cheaper to mod and maintain

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Im curious what kind of rag-tag backwoods track is going to allow you to run a fuel injected car and without relotcating the gas tank... I worked at a 5/8 mile and 1/4 mile clay oval for about 6 years and I can assure you an Intrepid would be terrible. Driving the 2004 Monte Carlo pace car around the track at 45mph was a stretch.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
wow... that is the most relaxed set of dirt track rules I've ever seen. I guess an Intrepid would work fine...

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Do like the guys in the picture did and get a Probe. My brother said that there is a very competitive 4 cyl. 2nd gen at a track a few hours from here.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jossimbyr said:
Do like the guys in the picture did and get a Probe. My brother said that there is a very competitive 4 cyl. 2nd gen at a track a few hours from here.
lol...a little biased??? jk

but yeah, that Prob has no problem getting around the track at all

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
micholob said:
lol...a little biased??? jk
Who, me? :p Seriously, though, Probes are plentiful and pretty cheap, especially the 4 cylinder models (base and SE). You can, if you want a bit of an unfair advantage, import Japanese versions of the engines which will give you more horsepower while not being readily distinguishable from the American versions. They handle really well, also.

but yeah, that Prob has no problem getting around the track at all
Pretty nimble little cars for their age, for sure.

·
Registered
531 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
dirt track with a front wheel drive car would suck
you need to modulate the throttle in the turns to make it turn
and your not going to be doing that with a front wheel driver vehicle with over 65% of its weight in the front.
an old nissan 240 or something like that on the cheap would be way better
and easier and cheaper to mod and maintain
I would expect a front drive car on a dirt track to be really worthless. You can't steer with a wheel that has broken traction. If you start spinning one or both front wheels as you are in a curve the car is going to stop turning and run straight off in the direction it's pointed. Expecting front wheels to steer, brake, and accelerate on a dirt track - while the rears only help with the braking - is not going to work well at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts