DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Got in an accident last week, i'm adamant that It wasn't my fault and insurances are sorting things out (and by the sound of it, it doesn't look like it's going to be beneficial for me). At any rate, I took a look at my intrepid and from what I can tell, I need to replace the passenger strut, strut mount, lower control arm, fender and hood (hood isn't damanged too much, so it can probably be straightened out). Where do you guys recommend I get a new fender and the paint (code PW1)? how much paint would i need for the entire hood and fender? It needs clear coat QW1 but to be frank, most of the clear coat is already gone from most of the car. So, why bother with that. I'm getting the tools to do the work but to be honest this is the very first time doing this. Already watched all sorts of youtube videos. I sorta just wanted to look white and not black/grayish with the primer. Any pointers about this, especially about where to get the correct paint and fender.? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As mentioned the junkyards are your best bet.

If you want to paint it, I would think a quart would be plenty for a fender and hood. IIRC you thin it enough that a quart goes a long way typically. That should be enough for a couple of coats. As for the clear, I would strongly suggest the 2 stage (or whatever its called) which basically just means you add a catalyst/activator to the clear. I've used the "ready to use" clear (I think Duplicolor may have sold it) and it does not lay down well and just has an overall weird finish to it no matter how much wet sanding and buffing you do afterwards.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello,

Got in an accident last week, i'm adamant that It wasn't my fault and insurances are sorting things out (and by the sound of it, it doesn't look like it's going to be beneficial for me). At any rate, I took a look at my intrepid and from what I can tell, I need to replace the passenger strut, strut mount, lower control arm, fender and hood (hood isn't damanged too much, so it can probably be straightened out). Where do you guys recommend I get a new fender and the paint (code PW1)? how much paint would i need for the entire hood and fender? It needs clear coat QW1 but to be frank, most of the clear coat is already gone from most of the car. So, why bother with that. I'm getting the tools to do the work but to be honest this is the very first time doing this. Already watched all sorts of youtube videos. I sorta just wanted to look white and not black/grayish with the primer. Any pointers about this, especially about where to get the correct paint and fender.? Thanks.
Since these Intrepids aren’t worth a lot, id go to the junk yard and see if you can pull a good fender and hood off of another car. Bonus if it’s painted the same color as your car and the paint is in good shape so then it would be a straight swap. If not that’s ok too. They can be sandblasted and repainted.

·
Registered
2002 Chrysler 300M Special
2,270 Posts
I'll echo the others and suggest checking local yards first. If they have nothing, check car-part.com for the parts and potentially the correct color.

I would also apply a 2-part clear even if the rest of the cars clearcoat is bad. Only the color coat will fade and be damaged badly, quickly, by the sun and birds and whatnot without clear. I'd rather have two great looking panels on a car that otherwise ain't great, versus an ain't great car with worse hood and fender.

I used 2K clear from Sprayway in an aerosol on my plenum and fuse cover last month in preparation for Carlisle and both parts came out great. They even survived the 7 hour drive to Carlisle and 7 hours back without yellowing in the hot engine compartment, as cheap parts place clears often do. No idea how well it would do on a large surface like a hood, but heavy overlapping should help a lot. My plenum and fuse cover took four cans, 3-4 coats. 4 coats on the plenum because I did 2-3 first, then painted the vertical lines down the middle, then did another 1-2, locking in the base coat the first time and locking in the custom colors the second time.

But I digress...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts