DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
How you guys do you wash your intrepid's engine? I heard it was not appropriate to wash it with water because of the electronics components. Is that true? Please tell me how you do
Thanks

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,593 Posts
It can be washed, just watch what you spray. Dont directly spray any wiring, electrical connectors, throttle body, or PCM, and you will be fine.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Wait a minute why would you want to wash your engine lol. Just keep the hood closed :)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,593 Posts
ive always wanted to clean it up but it sounds like a stupid thing to do.. or at least will become a stupid thing to do once a mistake is made..
Gotta have a nice clean engine! I powerwash mine about once a month.

·
Registered
446 Posts
"Dont directly spray any wiring, electrical connectors, throttle body, or PCM"
is that enough to ensure nothing is going to be damaged

what if water got down a dipstick somehow

i guess our cars all get wet at some time, rain,snow,car wash but its not like it soaks/drenches under the hood in any of these circumstances i always thought of an engine shampoo at shops a sketchy thing to pay for/have done.. unless you drive a viper or corvette, even a camero/mustang then maybe it would be worth it..

im just to scared to risk it haha thats just me
if someone could make me more confident, i am all ears

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,593 Posts
You can get things wet, just dont hold the powerwasher right up to the coil packs or any of the electrical plugs. Dipstick is sealed, so again if you dont spray it directly, its fine.

·
Registered
723 Posts

Purple Power in a spray bottle and a 2500 psi gas pressure washer.
Works for me, use at your own risk.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Haven't you guys ever been to the car wash they have a setting on the gun for cleaning your engine. My dad has always cleaned the engines in all of the cars my family had and it never hurt them. It looks really good too he cleaned the engine in my moms Volvo after he put it in and that thing looked brand new you would have never known that it came from a junk yard. You can jack the car up too and clean the underside if it is dirty.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Glad you said it. I do that and then get out the Q-Tips. :biggrin:
I've never done mine...maybe we should meet up at Dan's place and you guys can show me how it's done. I've done thousands of the old carburated engines, but have little faith in the electrical connections used these days.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If your worried about hitting parts, just paper bags and wire or tin foil and just wrap them up....

When I did my engine last I used a pressure washer. worked wonders. That time all I did was use rags and wire to keep some parts dry.

GL

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I've never done mine...maybe we should meet up at Dan's place and you guys can show me how it's done. I've done thousands of the old carburated engines, but have little faith in the electrical connections used these days.
When are you coming for "you know what" and we can wash your engine at my place??

Or are we waiting until Carlisle to make the swap??

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used the spray engine dregreaser. about three cans. with a plastic bag on fuse panel.

let it soak hit all the cracks with a big toothbrush. then sprayed off with high pressure hose.

finish it up with some wd40 and a rag for that special shine.

then again my 2.7 has a ton o plastic in the engine bay.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
When are you coming for "you know what" and we can wash your engine at my place??

Or are we waiting until Carlisle to make the swap??
I'd like to try to do the " engine wash " ( keeping on topic ) before Carlisle, that way the " engine wash " is all done! Wouldn't you rather complete the " engine wash " before, or do you like having something to do at Carlisle?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I clean all the motors in my cars. Haven't f'ed up one of mine yet...BUT, I have f'ed up others. Mostly Audi and Saab, never a Chrysler.

Like said before, degreaser, a pressure washer and white water based dressing does the trick. After you clean it, hit it with some white dressing and let it dry....comes out like this...

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I'd like to try to do the " engine wash " ( keeping on topic ) before Carlisle, that way the " engine wash " is all done! Wouldn't you rather complete the " engine wash " before, or do you like having something to do at Carlisle?
Defiantly want to have a "clean engine" for Carlisle. I got a 2700 psi pressure washer that would do your engine real good Shawn.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Most newer engines are completely water proof, so long as you don't have an exposed air filter. I have always power washed my engine. Just blow out most of the excess water with an air hose. If you don't have an air hose just towel dry as much as possible, then go for a drive to dry it out completely.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts