DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was driving with my fiance on our way to a friend's house, minding our own business, when we happened to pull up to a red light next to the most obnoxious thing I have ever witnessed. Two testosterone-fueled drunken fratboys in a mid-90's rusty Toyota 4Runner pickup, blasting the worst dubstep garbage at decibel levels that were surely rattling their shriveled, inebriated little brains. It was so loud I couldn't hear what my passenger was saying in the seat next to me, and it was obvious they were doing it to annoy us. I was fairly infuriated; I had hoped people like these would've died off by now, that human conduct in the first world had evolved beyond this. I was sadly mistaken.

I noticed, at this point, that they had begun revving their engine, their stupid pickup rocking forwards on its bouncy suspension, and a primeval thrill coursed up my spine. If I raced them, I could probably win! That would show them for sure! Although, was this stooping to their level? Should I just let it go, just write them off as the degenerate scum that they were, and hope they die soon of debilitating disease?

My passenger seemed to think the latter as she said loudly into my ear, "Don't do it."

But then the light turned, and I found my right foot anchored to the floor, the engine responding with a thrilling growl, my fiance shrieking in both fear and excitement. We were even to about 25, then the power of the mighty all-American 3.5L hurricane carried us far out in front. With a convincing 15-yard lead having reached about 60 (in a 40), I stuck my left arm out of the window and wagged my fist like a neanderthal, proclaiming absolute and total victory. We hit traffic, and they proceeded to turn off onto a side street, likely too ashamed to face what had just occurred: One hell of a good kill.

Perhaps it's not a big surprise that the Intrepid won, 4Runners aren't exactly built for straight-line speed. But the point was that they had underestimated the Intrepid, writing it off as an ordinary family sedan, mocking it with their dubstep. I imagine they'll think twice next time before making that mistake again.

So yes, I absolutely did stoop to their level, and you know what? It felt awesome.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,544 Posts
Giggity!:D

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Second to last sentence, "I imagine they'll think twice next time before making that mistake again."

I don't think the thought process was invoked for this event. Therefore, they are likely to take on a 300m or Concorde next time.

BTW, Excellent kill!

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
you guys sound like my dad, afraid of new music, or, noise as he refers to it also.
Oh it's new, so it must be good. Is that how it works? Beiber is new. Is he good? I extrapolate that he is your favorite singer.

Doesn't matter what you listen to, when someone pulls up next to you with their windows down, you turn your music down. That's called being respectful, something you should probably try with your old man. Tell him to crank up the Dire Straits, and maybe you can learn a thing or three.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
no, but my bicycle can still outrun them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR2XilcGYOo

you guys sound like my dad, afraid of new music, or, noise as he refers to it also.

good job on bringing home the win to mopar btw. if theres anything i hate its a toyota
Classic rock, country, or possibly pop. Literally, the "new rock" made me throw up. :barf:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Oh it's new, so it must be good. Is that how it works? Beiber is new. Is he good? I extrapolate that he is your favorite singer.

Doesn't matter what you listen to, when someone pulls up next to you with their windows down, you turn your music down. That's called being respectful, something you should probably try with your old man. Tell him to crank up the Dire Straits, and maybe you can learn a thing or three.
lol...thanks for the advice, but my dad is some loser who vanished from my life....:poopoo::glum:

i dont understand what the volume has to do with anything though... you can roll your windows up.. isn't it summer everywhere??? its 110 @10am where im at...and 95 @2am when im posting this. if i were in my conc id have the A/C on MAX not bitching about the elten john someone decides to play loud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'll tell you guys, I'd like to think I've heard a good spectrum of older and newer music, and I think it's fair to say that there's always been a certain amount of truly terrible, awful, obnoxious music out there. Stuff that's just entirely pandering to whatever audience is biggest and has the most disposable income. In the 70's it was KISS, in the 90's it was NSYNC, today it's Katy Parry and the Black Eyed Peas, and it's all garbage produced by talentless hacks. But, underneath that, there's always been a strong undercurrent of good music out there, and there still is to this day.

The only problem is that the majority of young people seem to be unable to tell the difference between the two, to evaluate what they're listening to on any basis other than how popular it is. Concepts such as musicianship, talent, message, quality... they fall on deaf ears when it comes to people in my age group (19). This makes finding the genuinely good music much more difficult because the audiences demanding it are much smaller than they used to be. Therein lies the perception that there's no good music being produced today, it's just a matter of market share.

But it's easy to get caught up in the cynicism. My usual remedy for that is Tighten Up by The Black Keys. Damn good song, and from 2010 as well.

(Sad, can't post URL's yet. Well, it's worth looking up for yourselves)

Anyhow, that's my $.02 on the whole new vs old music debate, which, of course, is as old as time itself. I know I'll probably offend some die-hard KISS fan, and I'm sorry, but "I want to rock and roll all night and party every day" repeated 26 times does not constitute a good song.

Also, I never blast my music into someone else's car at an intersection, no matter how good I know it is, because I'm not a dick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ya know what I miss about the intrepid, the throttle response... Damn electronic throttle body one the Mazda 6/MKZ..... But what they lack for in response, they make up in acceleration and top speed :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts