DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I found out what that knock is. I have a cracked piston. My cylinder wall is also a bit damaged, so I am kinda screwed. My Intrepid will be sitting for a good amount of time until I can find a job to afford the rebuild. It's gonna cost me about $2000 for the rebuild and labor for removing/replacing the motor. It will be alot cheaper for me to fix my Lebaron, so I am going to do that first until I can save enough money for the 'Trep. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sux. What caused it?
whodat

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Might be cheaper (or if a little more expensive, then alot easier) to just find another Intrepid and put all the goodies from your car onto it. Maybe even get a 3.5?:wink:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is Anthony, I am still paying for my car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
cracked piston.. eeek!
good luck!
hey.. while you are at re-building... :)

since you gotta pull the block, do some honing... just go overbore and stick the 3.8 pistons in :) if ya can, spring for a new crank.. get the stroke a little longer..... if ya catch my drift. you are replacing a piston/connecting rod already.....

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Ouch, sorry Chris, didn't know. Hope you don't owe alot on it.

Lafrad has some good points, if you are taking the whole engine apart, might as well rebuild the whole thing instead of just fixing what is wrong. Doesn't really cost a whole lot more and it'll guarantee something else doesn't go soon.

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I do owe a good amount on it. :( ....and yes I was thinking about all that good stuff like boring, shaving heads, ect. :) Since I am gonna be putting more money into it than I want to, I might as well put alot into it. I will pry end up keeping this car even if I get a new one due to the fact that I am putting too much into it to sell it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i agree. this is the time to bore it out, maybe even take the heads off and have a valve job done. if you spend a lot of time and do it right, while it's already going to be broken down you can get a lot of extra performance and piece of mind for another 100k or more.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
there is a word of advice too. some mechanics will tell ya you can go oversize on a single cylender on your car and be fine (like a cracked piston.. replaced with a .030" oversize one... leaving all the others untouched.) From experiance, I would NOT do this, as it makes your car run slightly rough, and has a possiblity of throwing the emmissions off (that cylender running lean/rich). if you go slightly overbore for that one, do it for all.. it will keep it running nice and smooth

·
980 Posts
sorry for your bad luck, sounds as if you are on the right track as far as rebuilding goes, any idea what caused a cracked piston? I think that is kinda rare, unless they are calling it that in a broad sense, instead of burned or colapsed, or maybe broken ring?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My sympathies. I have helped rebuild a couple of engines, but they were all pre-'72 Mopars. It wasn't TOO tough, but we had the tools and place to do it. You might as well put a little more "go" into your "show" if it's financially feasible. Good luck!! Hope it works out better than you hope.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear that............ That sucks....... What causes that, wear or overheating.......? Hope ya get it back up and running cool.......

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cause is unknown. Kinda sucks too, cuz it just kinda came out of nowhere. Didn't even see it coming.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When you get that out, snap a pic and post it. Some one may be able to do a little forensic science thing on it and figure out what happened.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Chris, there are two engines for sale on ebay, a 3.5 and a 3.3 i don't know if u wanna buy them through the internet, but i'd rather pay 500 for a new engine than pay 2000 to rebuild... also u could just buy the engine and have the engine for spares and just change the piston, or the piece the pistons are in.. just a thought. i want you back in commission in your trep, and if you love ur trep as much as i love mine you what im talking about. good luck bro

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'd rather have my engine rebuilt, who knows what could go wrong with an engine you don't know.... Also, I could never find an engine for $500. For me the cost of an engine is the same as a rebuild.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts