DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been curious what the power ratings were for the Intrepids. I raced an older one a while ago and beat it pretty bad. A friend of mine has a 1994 ES and says his car is fast and could take mine in a race, but I have ridden with him and it didn't impress me too much, to say the least. Maybe he just has the base engine and a bit of an imagination from racing soccer moms, LOL.

BTW I drive a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SE, which is about a mid 16 second car. Not the fastest thing in the world but it loves to torture rice, don't we all :D

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Mid 16 seconds eh?

Bone stock 1st gen 3.5L (1993-1997) LH cars are very high 15, low 16 second cars. The 3.3L's fair worse, unfortunatley, at low to mid 17s in the 1/4.

The 2G 3.2L and 2.7L aren't too far off the 1G 3.5L, with the 3.5L edging out both, or so people say. I have yet to race a second gen 3.2L.

Now, the R/T (2nd gen 3.5L) is a sheep of a different colour. A certain member of this site (Spook R/T) has run low 15s, and for all intensive perposes is bone stock.

Hope this helps.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
560 Posts
the FASTEST my trep has run was a 15.382 or something(i know it was a higher 15.3)...it is documented, did it a while ago...it runs consistently in the 15.5-15.7 range...
ive raced two pontiacs at a strip, one, a late 90's grand am GT (maybe a 98?), the other a 99 grand prix GTP...i beat the GT straight out, the GTP??? well, like, he beat my ass pretty bad... :eek:

oh yeah, power ratings:
LHSer could offer a better picture here, but the 93-97 ES (3.5L) has 214HP @(5500rpm), 222lb.ft. torque. (4200rpm?) LHSer?

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Valhalla 21340 ]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Well, I've got to have another look at my buddy's Intrepid. I could have sworn it had ES badging but now that I think about it the car lacks a ton of stuff, even has window cranks instead of power windows. So maybe it is a base model.

LHSer, I've never ran the car at the track. But there's a web page about a guy who ran his stock 1993 Bonneville SSE and his ET was 16.44. My car is the slightly lighter base model, plus I have ditched the restrictive airbox in favor of a K&N cone.

Valhalla 21340, that is a very impressive time! What mods do you have? I had no idea the older Intrepids could be easily go that fast. That's about as fast as a stock 96+ SSEi...pretty quick! Do your 3.5L cars have any warning badging so I'll know what I'm getting into if I race one? ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
for 1st gen twin exhaust tips are the key. also look for 3.5L 24-valv3 badging on the side. you could just race any trep you see and if you get tooled it's a 3.5 :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
1993-1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L
[email protected]
221lb/[email protected]

I think I have found the reason the 1G 3.5L can beat the 2G 3.2L. Our power ratings are nearly the same, (the 3.2L is 225hp and 225lb/ft), and we weigh nearly the same, but our torque comes on 1000rpm earlier than the 2G. That helps more than you'd think.

the FASTEST my trep has run was a 15.382 or something
Hmmm...I'd really like to see this documentation you speak of. Plus, what mods have you done? Oh, and no offence, but those Ferrari horses could be seen as ricey...

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
LHSer, about a month ago corey (94IntrepidES) posted some dyno graphs. those graphs agree exactly with what you say. the low end power and torque of the 1st gen 3.5 is way higher than the 2nd gen 3.2. plus, even though it ain't much remember there's no replacement for displacement ;)

i may be blowing smoke out my arse here but i also believe the 1st gen is geared slightly slightly shorter than the 2nd gen, which of course helps.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
for 1st gen twin exhaust tips are the key. also look for 3.5L 24-valv3 badging on the side. you could just race any trep you see and if you get tooled it's a 3.5 :)

And if you smoke its ass you raced a 3.3L like mine
:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
Hmmm...I'd really like to see this documentation you speak of. Plus, what mods have you done? Oh, and no offence, but those Ferrari horses could be seen as ricey...

Just out of curiosity, since when is Ferrari "ricey"??

:confused:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
...and if you are racing a 2nd Gen Intrepid. The way to tell if it is a 2.7L is if you see the nose gradually receding in your rearview mirror. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Just out of curiosity, since when is Ferrari "ricey"??
Read again. I didn't say Ferrari was ricey, I said having Ferrari stickers on the fenders of the car is ricey.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i posted all that crap i did at the track, and how i ran that time, a little while ago...but its there. to tell you the truth, luck was involved (or an error), cause i havent been able to get THAT low before or since...ah well, numbers are numbers, thats what i got...
mods to car: two OE mufflers cut out and replaced with flowmaster 40series on 2.5" piping, 160 deg t-stat, and a holley hotshot cone filter in place of orig airbox...
in a nutshell, that day i ran the car, it was early and cool out...took out jack, spare, had way below 1/4 tank o gas, and made this pseudo ghetto ram-air that i dont advise doing...mated the air hose to another piece of vac hose, squeezed it through the fender, removed left side turn signal lens, and jammed a sponge type material to catch pieces of crap...no filter, bad idea, dont recommend...
also, the maintenence that was performed on the car prob played a key factor too...fairly new set of tires (overinflated), fresh alignment(previous day), new plugs n' wires, fuel filter, recent oil change, recent tranny fluid change, and had computer flased at the dealer. ...brake primed, good launch, no squeal, reved high, used auto stick, and blammo...there you go...never happened before, prob never happen again...
i believe enzo ferrari, in his infinite wisdom, (for an italian?!? hahaha), said it best: "dodge intrepids haul major ass..."

·
Registered
468 Posts
3.3's arnt that bad at racing we can still burn rice ..............just not ones with super hyped up engines

ferrari isnt ricy now having honda decals on ur bumpers thats ricy :D :D :D :D

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
If you look at most of the topics that get closed valhalla its because LHSer trying to start or talk about someones car pertty pathetic aint it.
Actually, Petunia, its because people like you tend to take everything a bit too seriously when I speak my mind.

·
Registered
468 Posts
lol :eek:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mi tuess is dey coudnt wite or reed it aneway so dey rewpond wit sume hawd tu reed responze

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
Actually, Petunia, its because people like you tend to take everything a bit too seriously when I speak my mind.
Petunia??? Was that really called for? How come when someone else speakes there mind, the topic runs a good chance of getting closed? It's good to speak your mind, I'm all for it, but if you can speak your mind, than we all can speak our mind. Also, if you make a comment like you did, you HAVE TO expect to get feedback. Like I said before, if you can speak your mind, than others can speak theirs. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Hey, look at any thread where I start to speak my mind, it ends up blowing up into a huge mess that I never intended and is closed. Watch, this'll probably be the same, although I won't say anything further.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts