DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -

First post here, obviously. Looking for any help from you guys.

I have a 1998 Intrepid, 2.7L. Had a battery problem, after replacing with a new battery, I hear a REALLY loud clacking noise from the passenger valve cover. I assumed it was a loose rocker or bad lifter. I thought - no big deal, only a few hundred to replace. After tearing into it, turns out it was rod knock, a piston hitting the valves. Unfortuantely, this narrows me down to getting a new car (which is out of the question), or replacing the motor.

I've looked on ebay and the like, and it looks like freshly rebuilt longblocks will run around $2500. Do any of you know of other options? Places to get a good block fairly cheap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Roscoe said:
Hey -

First post here, obviously. Looking for any help from you guys.

I have a 1998 Intrepid, 2.7L. Had a battery problem, after replacing with a new battery, I hear a REALLY loud clacking noise from the passenger valve cover. I assumed it was a loose rocker or bad lifter. I thought - no big deal, only a few hundred to replace. After tearing into it, turns out it was rod knock, a piston hitting the valves. Unfortuantely, this narrows me down to getting a new car (which is out of the question), or replacing the motor.

I've looked on ebay and the like, and it looks like freshly rebuilt longblocks will run around $2500. Do any of you know of other options? Places to get a good block fairly cheap?

Thanks!

Lean to walk. You learned about the nighmare 2.7 the hard way too late. Warn others of your problems and hopefully they will avoid your mistake.

Be carefull of rebuilt 2.7's they are very tough to rebuilt correctly. Many good rebuild shops will not touch a DC 2.7 or Ford 2.5,3.0 V6

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
adaptabl said:
Lean to walk. You learned about the nighmare 2.7 the hard way too late. Warn others of your problems and hopefully they will avoid your mistake.
he asked for advice/help... not some idiotic reply. :brutal_12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In2Deep said:
Best option (if you want to keep the car) is to swap in a 3.2 or 3.5 from another 2nd Gen car. See THIS THREAD
I really don't care about the performance aspect, this is my "daily driver" if you will....

Anyone doing a 2.7 swap that doesn't need their short block??

adaptabl said:

Be carefull of rebuilt 2.7's they are very tough to rebuilt correctly. Many good rebuild shops will not touch a DC 2.7 or Ford 2.5,3.0 V6
Damn Canadians...

crombie said:
exactly, thanks.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Roscoe: It also depends where you live. If your near to a junkyard, call around. Hell the Meinikie (spelling) by me does motor swaps. And yes they do domestic cars too.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Gorm said:
You were expecting something else from him? :smile:

--Gorm
Heh... no. :fun_08:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Still I would go with the 3.2 or the 3.5 the 2.7 can be a good engine but it needs more care than the 3.2 or the 3.5 you can find many threads on here about the 2.7 and taking care of it

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
popimp said:
Still I would go with the 3.2 or the 3.5 the 2.7 can be a good engine but it needs more care than the 3.2 or the 3.5 you can find many threads on here about the 2.7 and taking care of it

Even with perfect maintanence they(2.7's) fail far too often.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
crombie said:

It's to late for help. The only thing he can do is warn others of his mistake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adaptabl said:
It's to late for help. The only thing he can do is warn others of his mistake.
My mistake? Dude, this car was free. How do you call that a mistake? It has 110K miles on it and I've had no other problems aside from this one, albeit it is a major one....

All I need to do is get another 25k-30k miles out of it until I can get a new truck.

I guess I'll start hitting up the junkyards around me to see what they have as well. I've got no problems doing all of the work myself, I just need to find a budget short block to work with.

Will the 3.2 or 3.5 short block match up to the same heads/intake, etc? Use the same cams? Exhaust? Wiring? I don't think so, based off of the other thread that I saw. This is the headache that I'd like to avoid.

If this was a 5.0 Mustang, it'd be fixed for a few hundred! I've been racing mustangs for years, too bad this one isn't as easy and cheap...

Thanks for the replies. If anyone knows of a place anywhere for a good deal, I don't mind shipping.

Oh, btw, I'm in Austin, TX.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Roscoe said:
My mistake? Dude, this car was free. How do you call that a mistake? It has 110K miles on it and I've had no other problems aside from this one, albeit it is a major one....

All I need to do is get another 25k-30k miles out of it until I can get a new truck.

I guess I'll start hitting up the junkyards around me to see what they have as well. I've got no problems doing all of the work myself, I just need to find a budget short block to work with.

Will the 3.2 or 3.5 short block match up to the same heads/intake, etc? Use the same cams? Exhaust? Wiring? I don't think so, based off of the other thread that I saw. This is the headache that I'd like to avoid.

If this was a 5.0 Mustang, it'd be fixed for a few hundred! I've been racing mustangs for years, too bad this one isn't as easy and cheap...

Thanks for the replies. If anyone knows of a place anywhere for a good deal, I don't mind shipping.

Oh, btw, I'm in Austin, TX.

You need the whole 3.2,3.5 not just a short block. All the parts are different. Same tranny is fine.

Finding a good used 2.7 is very hard. There is so much demand for them they cost a furtune, if you are lucky enough to find one.(not like 5.0,4.6 Mustang engines)

I guess it goes to show, you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, seems to be much more to this than I thought....

PM I received on another board...

"I don't know how well you know the Dodge victim but if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have had my engine replaced and would have let Chrysler repo it. If that isn't acceptable I would have replaced the 2.7 with a 3.2. There is a new company that specializes in this but I can't remember their name. The 3.2's are much better engines and they are actually cheaper because they are much easier to find. I'm having trouble with my email so I am going to send this in segments.

I don't remember the mechanic's actual name but he owns the company and I trust him completely.

Austin Engine
20202 Mashburn
Pflugerville, TX 78660
512-989-6771

He probably knows me by name since the KVUE story. The links will be next.

If you go to google there are about a million 2.7 links but the ones below are the best ones I've found, and trust me I've looked at a lot.

http://www.complain-complain.com/list_complaint.asp?table=chrysler

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Dodge_Intrepid.html

http://www.autosafety.org/consumercomplaint.php?error=noresults

http://www.dontbuyone.com

All four of these sites allow you to post a complaint for free. The 3rd site seems to be the most proactive as far as going after DiamlerChrysler. They were interviewed in both news stories and have demanded that DC extend the warranties to 150K and refund people that bought replacement engines. They included the names and addresses of everyone that had posted a complaint (including me) in there last demand letter.

Several of the different sites mention an Attorney named Roloff, run from him. He is a con artist big time. The best lawsuit site I've found is http://www.bigclassaction.com/automotive.html

There are no fees and you get weekly updates and I just noticed that the 2.7 is now a featured category.

The 4th site has some great links. "

Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
you ppl. i see what adaptable is saying. even though hes an ass as he is. he is right. any 2.7 owner should know about the dreaded 2.7 motor as it is good it has problems.

i would suggest a 3.2 over a 3.5 because of price. but yes. you do need a new motor. the 3.2 and 3.5 will bolt right to your tranny if you do a swap. if not be lucky to get maby 1000 for your car. me personally id take a fist gen for 1500 before a 2nd se with a burned 2.7.

also a site who charges you to post would not be a site to go to. :)

just suck it up and find your self a cherry picker wiring harness and a 3.2 and or a 3.5 from a boneyard. my 3.3 took 2 days to swap. 3 but the 2nd we went to cedar point.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts