DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Intrepid that has an annoying problem. About a year ago, my car started running rough when I put it in reverse after it has been sitting overnight. It usually happens in the morning on on cool days. I crank it...runs fine...I put it in reverse and it starts knocking and I hear a sucking sound around the intake just above the EGR valve. If I put it back in Park, it revs up for a few seconds and back down. The episode lasts about 20 seconds. After that it runs fine. My check engine light also stays on (code P042, insufficient catalyst on bank 2). I was told by the dealer and my mechanic that I needed to replace my left catalytic conver, which I did. That did not solve the problem. I am starting to suspect a bad EGR valve or some kind of vacuum leak. Could these two problems be related? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The EGR Valve is attached to a vaccum, so they are related in that sense. The vaccum has a line that goes to the EGR valve and one that goes to the intake manifold. I'd check those first before attacking the EGR Valve because that thing is a pain in the ass to change. Mine was all clogged up with carbon because of my O2 sensors, which also screwed up my catalyic converter.

Let it run in idle for about 10 to 15 mintues to see if any other codes come up. But if you hear a sucking sound, it sounds like one of the vaccum lines running to the EGR Valve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts